Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

4K Quattro Dash Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 AM
1st Gear
Default 4K Quattro Dash Bulbs

Hi All!

Has anyone tried replacing the dash bulbs on their 4000 Quattro? Is it difficult? Do I just loosen the screw and then pull the clear plastic off to get to them? They are 1.2 watt, right? Can I use 2 watt bulbs for a brighter effect without melting or overloading anything?

Thanks,

Todd
Annapolis, MD
1986 Audi Quattro 4000cs

Old 03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 4K Quattro Dash Bulbs

I copied the following fromChris Miller'sweb site http://members.aol.com/c1j1miller/ giving info about the instrument cluster lights. Your vehicle might be a little different. I did my Audi without disconnecting any wires -once I got it out I just twisted it down and worked on the bulbs. Bulbs can begotten on-line for about$2.00 each.I had an old instrument cluster so all I did was take the bulbs out of it. It was helpful to have a copy of Bently showing where the bulbes were and what they were for.

It is very simple to remove the instrument panel - first two screws under the steering wheel console to remove the top cover above the turn signals, emergency flasher etc.

Then three screws under the lower instrument panel trim piece - right above the steering wheel

There are 4 (i believe) allen screws holding the cluster in place-remove them
Ok the cluster will now move - rotate and slide the cluster to the right and pull out slightly- behind the cluster is a set of wires and connectors attached to the console - no speedo cable
remove the connectors - some have a square tab on top that has to be lifted - some have little plastic arms remove them all. The three dash lights are in with a 1/4 turn and the tape is color coded yellow, black and blue.

Slide the unit out right and pat yourself for using masking tape to prevent wood damage - tight fit.

Now you have the unit out - the bulbs seem to be sourced only at your dealer (maybe a VW part as well) they are Osram 2721 12v 1.2 watt They ain't cheap get a bunch ahead and return what you don't need - that why you pay dealers excessive prices - they expect to provide you service.

All the lights are in with little 1/4 turn pieces - replace what you need -the cluster comes all apart don't fret about removing screws to gain access.