AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Classic Audi (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/classic-audi-19/)
-   -   Audi 80/90 manual tranny swap? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/classic-audi-19/audi-80-90-manual-tranny-swap-38305/)

kakarot 09-11-2006 01:36 AM

RE: Audi 80/90 manual tranny swap?

is the dash there. if yes then maybe you can disconect the things that pull the wheels from stering rack.

also its so much desesembled, you can also do your engine, like new rings etc...

TajMan 09-11-2006 01:49 AM

Dash is there car in yard was complete.

I may have to use one of the hoists to lift the front of the engine up to tilt back and allow tranny clearance. I'm just working on gravel in the yard, can't get a jack underneath the thing or anything it sucks.

No its not THAT apart engine stuff is all together and much more complex that the tranny stuff thats off. Besides aren't these engines supposed to be bulletproof anyway? Wouldn't think you'd ever do rings etc before you'd need to. My car is in great condition with only 118K miles.

kakarot 09-11-2006 10:04 AM

I'm just saying, becuse car is that far desasembled. like all you will need to do is remobe the head, remove the oil pan, then disconect the pistons, push them up, then if you want, couse car is like disasembled, you can even take out the crank shaft. As well as you can clean the head inside. If I were you, I would do that if I had time, it would take at least extra 3 days. Its all up to you.

TajMan 09-12-2006 12:20 AM

No matter, this thread is about the continuing manual swap.

I got EVERYTHING I need in the junk yard!

From '89 manual tranny Audi 80:
-tranny
-flywheel
-pressure plate/clutch/TOB
-starter motor
-various shields/guards/etc
-axles
-shifter assembly
-clutch/brake pedal assembly (all one unit, unbolts with clutch master cylinder attatched)
-master cylinder, hydraulic line to slave (hose draws fluid from brake reservoir)

From '90 auto tranny Audi 80:
-R & L shock/strut/hub assembly (These were required because those struts/hubs were already missing from the '89 manual car, this car had the same type. My '88 automatic 90 had a different type of axles/hubs, different spline count. My 90 struts/hubs were all one piece {unlike the junk yard 80 hubs that unbolted from the struts} so thats why I had to change the whole things.) We'll see but it all should go together on the stock lower controll arms in my 90.

Good news: hole for the clutch master cylinder already exists in the automatic car's firewall. Shifter bolts up no problem. Pedal assembly should bolt up. Looks like fabricating a simple tranny mount bracket will be the only custom part.

I gotta go back tomorrow to PICK UP all the parts, I'll get 20% off, we'll see what they cost.

One thing I noticed, if wiring isn't there in my car then it might get setup without the safety clutch switch for starting etc (or maybe the automatic "park" sensor can be wired right into the "clutch switch" to make it work).

kakarot 09-12-2006 02:11 AM

dude its stupid, no safety clutch. seriously, its stupid. Some times having ability to turn starter while in gear is a good thing :)

TajMan 09-12-2006 06:19 AM

I'd rather not have it, no worries.

Can install remote start kit, will work whenever. Leave car in gear and no brake, remote start will start the car and drive away be careful lol.

TajMan 09-12-2006 08:22 PM

All parts in junk yard came to $223 with the 20% discount I got! All I need now is a shift knob and a shift boot.

I needed one exhaust gasket, and the clutch pilot bearing that I couldn't get out of the junk yard crank. Ordered those both at the Audi dealer, came to $52 yeesh, waiting a few days for them to come. Even between the 4 cyliner motors I guess there are two types and they needed an engine code. With the vin #'s I provided them they got the code, luckily my 90 and the donor 80 have the same engine code so I'm good! Anyone would want to check this before attempting a swap.

A clutch shop in Salt Lake has the clutch kit for $260. Autozone and everywhere else were $315 or more. As it seems happens way too often, I'm doing this project on the extreme low budget. I've had to make a judgement call, I'll be reinstalling the used clutch from the junk yard. If it goes out in 5K miles or whatever oh well I just have to do another tranny drop job. Even just the disk from Audi costs over $200... Does anyone have the specs on how to measure the wear? mm of rivit sink on the clutch disk? This used one just looks half way used.

I'll try and fab up something for that tranny mount while I'm waiting for parts. All parts very greasy, will be doing a lot of cleaning and take some pics.

kakarot 09-13-2006 01:18 AM

dude just use the presure plate used but put new pading on the clutch disk. and new through out bering. That way you wont have to do job again.

TajMan 09-13-2006 01:43 AM

Yeah I know that way you don't have to do the job again, but we all come from different walks of life, maybe you don't get the picture. Can't do it. You can't just "put new padding" on the clutch disk either lol, you buy a new clutch disk, like I said still over $200, thats more than most complete clutch kits cost for most cars. I've done the "just TOB and clutch disk not pressure plate" job on 3+ cars, always works fine.

Also, the auto tranny mount is located directly above the hole for the mount on the manual tranny. The bracket required is going to be a very simple "L" bracket with 3 holes drilled in it. No modification to subframe needed.

kakarot 09-13-2006 01:59 AM

Actually, You can put new pads on the clutch disc. Very easy.
just have to find the pads :)