Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

apr chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 04:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: apr chip

i dont understand what the switching mode that you guys were talking about is....is that like if i get the ECU chip and then the tiptronic chip as well i could switch inbetween to the two since i wouldn't be able to use both at the same time?

Old 03-10-2005, 05:10 PM
3rd Gear

No. The program allows you to switch back and forth between stock and chipped. It's sometimes mistakenly called valet mode. Valet mode is another option which limits the revs - so a valet won't abuse your car while driving your beauty.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

oh thats really cool, where do you controll this from, is it like a switch inside your car? or somthing under the hood?

Old 03-10-2005, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear

With APR it's programmed into the wiper stalk - the switch that you use to flip between miles, mpg, etc. on the display. It's coded so only you can access the feature on the stalk.
With GIAC (I believe) it's built into a remote - I haven't seen one in action yet.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:39 PM

I keep coming to this thread, and the more I read it, the more I want a chip.

I'm looking at either the GIAC or APR.

Which one, is harder for the dealer to detect?
I think the GIAC has the option of a socket solution, so you can swap with a stock program for dealer visits, however, if the dealer notices the socket, wont the be able to tell you chipped the car?

Just trying to chip w/o voiding warranty

any thoughts?

thanks!!

Old 03-12-2005, 02:54 PM

id like to know more about the whole warrenty situation considering my A4 1.8T just became cert preowned.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

yo defensemen i see ur @ RIT

i live in rochester also, i live in penfield and will go going to St.John Fisher next year.

Good to see some forum users from rochester

What year are you at RIT?

Old 03-12-2005, 10:57 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: defenseman

id like to know more about the whole warrenty situation considering my A4 1.8T just became cert preowned.
The whole warranty issue has been exhausted time and time again here and at other forums. Search the archives on this subject and you'll get plenty to read for a few hours - which is what you need to make such a personal decision.

Bottom line: It's going to be up to you and your own subjective terms. Most owners will go ahead and chip the car. They are willing to take the risk because, although the risk in theory is high, the risk in the real world is actually very low.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:40 AM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: defenseman

The situation is that it will void your warranty. Now some dealers are more lenient, and look the other way.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:03 AM
1st Gear

Sorry if I missed this but can the APR chip be installed by most owners and/or swapped out with an alternate stock chip for service visits? Is this swap out method a pretty solid method from having dealers discover you are chipping?

Quick Reply: apr chip