Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Help a girl out please!! A3 problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Help a girl out please!! A3 problem

Okay, and you will be helping out my son as well. Currently he is driving my 2007 base model A3. Last week he began having problems with it shutting off while at a stoplight. Windows, electronics worked just wouldn't go.
Happened again but couldn't restart so after pushing it off to the side, it DID finally restart.
Thinking it might be the fuel filter he limped it to my dad's garage. (Old retired mechanic = tools)... replaced the fuel filter and tried to start and see if he could hear it "trying to kick in"..(please remember I am getting and giving details second hand). He couldn't hear anything so we ordered and replaced the fuel pump.
According to him, he and my dad checked the pressure and the fuel pump seems to be trying to pump fuel but won't go through the engine...if that makes sense to anyone.

After already investing 300$ total in this repair does anyone have any suggestions of where to look now? He says the fuses are okay but I'm not even sure which ones he checked..trunk or dash and if he does re-check the fuses which ones should he look for? I tried but couldn't find a schema for an A3..only an A8. Could it be the fuel injectors? He is trying to do it on his own as repairs at the dealer are crazy and to compound the problem the check engine light has been on..for a long time... BUT when I we took it into the dealer TWICE for this specific problem they could not turn it off and said everything checked out...Going off their advice, we have continued to use the car with no problems up til now.
My son does do regular oil changes himself so it has been kept up on that end but by the same token, they do things like top off fluid levels, etc. But the only thing other than that is he does use the occasional fuel system cleanser sold in auto stores.

ANY suggestions where to look next would be great..or should we just suck it up and take it in for diagnostics??

Old 07-26-2013, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

i say you should bring it to dealer, have it check rather than guessing and spending more money... btw you are driving audi, should you have money for repair? remember you driving audi anything wrong = lots of $$$$ consider that before buying.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

I have yet to find Audi parts any more expensive than any other car. I have notices on the 2.0t cars they need total fuel pressure all the way to motor. look for a scematic of the fuel system and go from there. Check for spark, look at the plugs are they wet.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 AM
1st Gear

So it's the 2.0 liter turbo motor not the diesel motor. So if the fuel pump and fuel filter has been replace next step check the high pressure fuel pump on the cylinder head and try to post the fault code if you can but I think most likely the fault is for fuel pressure too high or low. If fuel is going to high pressure fuel pump then I would remove the high pressure fuel pump. Check the cam follower and the high pressure fuel pump rod to see if it's worn.