Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Need help epc light

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help epc light

Vehicle Specs: 2005.5 A4 2.0T
Issue: Harness burned and EPC Light on, Vehicle in Fail Safe Mode

I have an issue with my EPC light and need some help diagnosing the problem. I had a little involvement in "repair" but as my knowledge is limited, I can describe everything that happened up until it failed to get best descriptive answer.

Yesterday I was changing the Air Filter and removed the the MAF, the Air "Intake" and disconnected the MAF Harness from the car.

I changed the filter and reassembeled the parts and progressed to clean up work site.

I started driving vehicle fine but when I drove about a mile or so, the EPC light comes on and the car has no power, pulled over and turned it off and restarted it, same response, EPC...no power ect...

Drove car home and parked it....opened hood and noticed the Harness that connects the MAF Sensor (3 Wires) and an Additional (4 Wires) progressing down toward Turbo....Turbo Solenoid?....was leaning on the Exhaust manifold and had burned thru the wires....the strap I had set from completing with Air Filter...had broken and the wires fell on top of manifold.

Attempted:
Today I woke up early and put to effort looking over the car and noticed that the wires we're burned completely thru the insulation but still maintained its physical "wire characteristics" in that it could still "could send signals" to the ECU.
"I disconnected battery before any work was begun" I cut the burned wires out making sure to expose all of the bad wires and thru the good wires of car and purchased 16 and 18 gauge wire, crimps, and electricial tape.
I attached all good wires, new or old, with crimps and color coded them all.
Started car and initially the EPC was off, but came on about thirty seconds after starting car.
The car keeps throwing codes such as "Turbo Wastegate Open, Solenoid A, Heater Circuit, EVAP Open....ect
I am trying to determine what is/isn't possible in this scenario.

**The Code for the MAF Sensor, which was on before repair attempt, did not return on the restarting of car after job. One problem was fixed that was initially burned so the "ECU" is reading to those who may think its complete ECU Failure. Audi even confirms that the car won't even enter EPC Fail Safe Mode with complete ECU failure "Short Circuit" It just won't start.

Can is be something grounding?

Please assist best advice better than nothing, just not on the "biggest budget"

I'm a DIYer, read my own codes with Handheld...

Last edited by RelentlessA4; 06-24-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Default Same issue, any resolution?

So today this EXACT thing happened to me. I have been searching everywhere to troubleshoot and saw your post but no replies. Did you ever figure out what to do on this? I need help too!
Thanks

Old 10-09-2010, 10:42 AM
2nd Gear

If you can, clear the codes and see what comes up again. Since you did the repairs the ECU may still be clinging to the old codes. Try that first and see if you have any luck.