Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 03:52 AM
1st Gear
Default need some help

i want to get a a3 3.2.and i wanted to know if ther was a direct port ecu tune.or like a reflash program out ther that i can aply to the 3.2 moter.i checked the apr web site and i did not see anything for the 3.2 so im a little confused.any info will help thanks.sorry about the slopy grammer

Old 12-23-2006, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: need some help

Chip Tuning does not offer significant gains with a normally aspirated motor.

If you want a tuner A3, I would suggest the 2.0FSI with either a Manual trans or the new DSG tranny(which kicks ***). But thats up to you.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

ya i thoth that.if i was to get a 3.2 and do some ecu tuning.how small would the horsepower gain be.are we talkin like 10 or 15 horses.or more.

the hole thing is i like the awd on the a3 3.2. so i really want to know what that moter can become with some tuning.

denimtt thanks for the info

Old 12-23-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

on the 3.2TT GIAC advertises a 5-13hp gain and 8-18ft/lbs, however I couldnt find an application for the A3 either.

On the 2.0FSI GIAC offers 18-50hp and 50-85ft/lbs which will put you in contension for the same output as the 3.2 with more power to the wheels I would imagine lacking quattro.

I do sympathize with your desire for quattro though and as far as that goes I dont know what to tell you. Turbos will always respond better to modification so it will take quite a bit more money to replicate the power gains with the 3.2. The good news is you start with 250hp and AWD. I would skip chip tuning(especially considering lack of support)and work on standard bolt-ons such as Intake, Headres(if you can source them), exhuast, lightweight pulleys, wheels/tires, lightened flywheel upgraded clutch. Maybe some cams if you can find them, or a nitrous kit. Its definitely going to be a tougher uphill battle on the 3.2, but anything is possible with some determination.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I can say the S-Line with a 6-Speed is plenty fast.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

ya i know turbos kick a** because my bro use to have a wrx and he had it running 11.86 in the 1/4.

denim what would u say to turbo charging a 3.2

Old 12-23-2006, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

thanks for ur input man.but just wondering what happens if i turbo charge a 3.2.

do they even make that application.

because that would be sick.

i know it will cost a lot.but o my god talk about moveing

Old 12-23-2006, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Im fairly certain you could arrange a Bi-Turbo setup w/ the 3.2, and youre right it would be expensive.

You could run a 125hp shot of nitrous safely for ~$1000 though, do the math. That would be wicked with the DSG. Or 125 shot and methane injection for ~$1500 and that would get you even more power. At least as much or more as you could make with a turbo without rebuilding the bottom end of the motor.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

ya but nitrous is not all day power.and if u make nitrous all day power and spray it all day long u might just blow the moter.

and u will shortin ur moter life by a couple of years even if u just spray just every now and then.

i wont put nitrous on my every day car cause like i said its not all day power.

its crazy to use nitrous for passing a semi truck.

or like seeing a big empty road.

or coming out of a tight corner.i wont use nitous for thos resons and dose r my favorit resons to have power.

but on the racing note methane injection and nitrous is cheap speed combo

Old 12-24-2006, 02:24 AM
1st Gear

Making power under any conditions will shorten the lifespan of your motor. More heat, More friction, more energy, more wear and tear.

You would never NEED to use it all day, or even want to. You dont keep the pedal on the floor all day long, and thats the only time a system will spray. In the 15 seconds allowed per boost at that power level, from a stop you would easily be approaching top speeds.

Dont let the pricetag fool you, its good, clean, safe, useful power..

The other options are paying 3 to 4 times as much for equal gains. Thats just in the motor, and does not approach setting up the suspension/brakes to handle 50-75% more power.