Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

reflash for Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:12 AM
Default reflash for Audi?

I used to tune Subaru's using opensource ecu reflash programs. I wouldn't say that I am VERY good at it like some japanese tuners from HKS or Apexi, but I do have plenty of experience, about a hundred different cars with different setups for different driver requirements. Anyway, that's not my point. I miss tuning my own car. One of the more popular tunes I used to do for my clients was to allow the WRX to operate on a lower octane fuel than recommended with careful attention on ignition timing and valve timing so they can save money (fuel is 3x more expensive from where I come from) without risk of detonation. I kinda want to do that for my own car.

So the question is, what ECU program software is available to the end user?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Not positive but...

it is my understanding that Audi chip options require physically removing the chip from the ECU and using an EEPROM programmer to reflash the programming.

After the initial reflash, some of the chip tuning outlets offer program options via the cruise control, and the ability to set tuning through the OBDII port but only after physically removing and flashing the chip.

FWIW

Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 PM

all inputs are appreciated greatly. I know there's Optican, Piasni and CMD that offers reflash through the OBD port but they are exceedingly expensive for personal use. And there's Eurodyne and Galletto but these do not support the 2.8 A4 that I am driving. Curses!

Last edited by ravenhil; 05-19-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
Not positive but...

it is my understanding that Audi chip options require physically removing the chip from the ECU and using an EEPROM programmer to reflash the programming.

After the initial reflash, some of the chip tuning outlets offer program options via the cruise control, and the ability to set tuning through the OBDII port but only after physically removing and flashing the chip.

FWIW
Reflashes are done through the OBD2 port nowadays, soldering is a thing of the past, except for the older AEB cars.

To the OP, unless you want to learn Bosch management, you're out of luck. This requires a $10k software package, checksum program, and flashing cable. The flashing cables have come down in price but after all that, there is not much power that can be extracted out of the 2.8

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 AM

OK, so then what did the dealership you called say about this? Because you did call one, right? Because they'd know %100 whether or not this could be done and still be under warranty.