Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Desert Audi, Las Vegas, NV - I think it should be avoided

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Desert Audi, Las Vegas, NV - I think it should be avoided

Hi guys,

How do you think it's possible for me to go for the scheduled 5000 miles maintenance to the above mentioned dealership and expect everything to be done a la carte?!
I went to them a little before 5000 miles, around 4,800 and told them that I want my first service check to be performed completely. I waited approx. 1.5 hours for them to finish the job. So far so good.
Just when I got 6000 miles on my car, I had a gut feeling and I checked the oil dipstick. Too much surprise, the oil is very dirty although it doesn't have a burned smell. I have absolutely no information whatsoever on what oil did they put in so I took the decision to replace it on my own - I'm going to use Mobil 1 0W40 and a K&N HP-7010 oil filter.
For me it's absolutely incomprehensible how irresponsible are these guys. Either they didn't use the right oil ( Castrol synthetic, because that's what they're suppose to use), either they didn't change it at all, which is even worse. Keep in mind, these services are already paid for.
So if you are in Nevada, do yourself a good and avoid Desert Audi - they totally ruined my good impression I had about them so far.
Cheers!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

The follow up:

As I said, I replaced my the oil and the filter on my own and also I collected the some used oil, placed it on a bottle and went to dealership. I talked directly to the service manager, showed her the used oil sample and asked for a clear explanation why is it like that after less than 2000 miles.
The explanation I received from one of the technical guys was that, being a turbo engine, it basically acts like a diesel engine and dirts the engine oil pretty fast, without affecting in the same time its lubricant properties. Assuming that they really changed the oil and really put in Castrol Syntec (which I'm still in doubt about this), the only conclusion I can draw is that I should stay away from this Castrol s*&(it.
If you have any ideas how to deal with this, feel free to leave me a message.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do a thing to it. When I bought my pre-owned A6 I was told I was getting the whole service. I fire it up at the lot and the antifreeze and oil notifiers beep at me. Drive home and pop the hood. The water reservoir was bone-dry and there was barely a drop of oil in it. Kinda odd how they are so cheap as to cheat you out of a couple quarts of oil and some antifreeze.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Desert Audi doesn't honor anything!

Ok I am very upset with Desert Audi. I bought this car early this year CPO. Now the window regulator does not work the hood shock needs to be fixed and it was supposed to be covered under the CPO limited warranty. I went there and they state that they took it out of my financing but the car was priced with the CPO. Now they are stating that if I wanted that I owe $2500 wtf is that??! When I signed it was already CPO'ed and the financed was higher than I expected so I don't understand where they said $2500 wasn't included in the finance???

What the heck is going on. How can they take off the Certified Pre-Owned after they already certified it prior to my purchase??

Help I am so angry!

Now I really want to give her up and get a BMW because I have better service with Desert BMW.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

I know that this is an old thread, but just had to add, that even still (to this day) you should still avoid these guys. I've been going there for 3 years and my Service Writer was (Let Go?)... and the rest of the team at Desert Audi is an Egotistical nightmare. Absolutely worthless staff, avoid at all cost.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

One of the 'jobs' that engine lubricant is supposed to do is scour internal surface and hold contaminants in suspension. Oil that is doing it's job gets dirty looking, quickly. Looking at it on a dip stick does not tell the condition or age of the material. Short of an oil analysis, it's your word against that of the dealership.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
1st Gear

Not taking side here but, it is very possible the oil will look "dirty" fairly quick. When changing the oil and filter, especially on turbo engines, there's a certain amount of oil that will stay in the engine. Some areas cannot drain, such as the turbo oil supply pipe, etc..... This will quickly cause new oil to appear to be not new. It's like, for example, taking a 5 qt pail of water and adding a few drops of black food coloring. Those few drops will turn the all the water black. Now, if they didn't change the oil (top off ALL the fluids, rotate the tires, adjust tire pressure, scan vehicle systems, reset service indicator, etc...........) shame on them. If they didn't use the proper oil (synthetic) shame on them again. As I said, not taking sides here but, a lot of times a dealer/customer relationship can be bad just from honest misunderstandings. This MAY be one. In a thousand miles your oil could very well look dirty. Oil color has nothing to do with if it's good or not. Pitch black oil could be perfectly OK and nothing to worry about. Hope you understand where I'm coming from!

Side note: When we change oil on a TDI, it only takes a few seconds of running for the oil to be pitch black again.

Last edited by aspen79; 04-22-2012 at 07:33 AM.