Required Repairs vs Nice Haves -

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 PM
1st Gear
Question Required Repairs vs Nice Haves -

Hello everyone. I feel like I messed up. Last week I purchased an Audi A4 3.2 Quattro - Premium Plus that had over 70K miles and was As Is (no warranty). The price I got for it was about $2.5K below market price, however, I was trusting and I did not do a pre-purchase inspection - I trusted the guy and the vehicle had been serviced like clock-work (based off of carfax reports). I visually checked for leaks, wear on tires, under the vehicle for any oil residue and scratches. Nothing. The vehicle looked great... I'm not a mechanic and know just enough to

Today I went into an independent shop whom has great reviews on Yelp and asked them to do the 75K mile service. The guys were great and I really want to trust them. However, I told them that I just got it and that I didn't do pre-inspection on the vehicle and that I wanted a full review. Anyways, this is what they quoted:

Rear Pads and Rotors - $500 (I asked if the rotors were touching my pads and asked why I needed new rotors. He stated that they were below spec. My brakes feel fine - not one vibration. He said I still have 4mm of padding.)

Left Engine Mount - $1,100 (He said he would replace the right one as well)

Lower wish bone bushings - $420 (Stated it was a critical/priority repair)

Upper control arm bushings - $625 (Also priority)

Left rear shock - $730 (would include the right one as well as the left one is leaking).

Tires - no price quoted. However, he wanted me to get a new set today. I asked him how many miles I had left on the tires and he said about 4K. However, due to the other items that needed repair, some of the tires had been damaged (not sure what to what extent).

I'm a bit overwhelmed and I'm really looking for guidance here. I'm not sure what should be priority. The car rides smooth and really only shakes once I approach speeds about 65mph.

The engine and transmission are great he said.

So then, I called the dealer and read him the list. He stated that his mechanic found no issues with the motor and transmission and that that was the extend of his inspection. He's willing to have his mechanic perform the repairs for the price he gets it for in order to satisfy his customer. He also stated that most of the items on the list are nice haves - that if they bother me, I should change them, if not, they are not critical.

Could someone please advise if the prices are fair and reasonable? I'm coming from a Toyota and these prices seem exorbitant. Are they really critical? Was the shop taking advantage of me because I told them I had purchased it without a pre-inspection?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 AM
4th Gear

Get some more estimates from independent shops in your area.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 AM
4th Gear

If you're fairly handy with a wrench, most of these repairs are a DIY for under $1,500 total, including the price of a basic $200 set of tools. The DIYer is the reason this forum exists, and also the reason many of use can actually keep our beloved Audi, because paying for any repairs gets expensive quick!

Having a friend with mechanical knowledge and willing to help is helpful too... As for the must-haves vs. the would be nices, I agree with Crazyhawk. Get at least one more indy shop to take a look, then prioritize base on both of their suggestions. If both places agree that a certain item is critical (like the control arms) then you know where to start.

Last edited by bradtyler02; 12-17-2014 at 06:24 AM.