Worn Cam shaft 2005 S6 Tiptronic advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Worn Cam shaft 2005 S6 Tiptronic advice needed

Hi All,
A newbie here in Dublin Ireland. So I bought a 2005 s6 tiptronic. Its a beauty, a little old but really well kept. 165k miles.
Car developed a ticking noise in engine. Brought it to a dealership and they took €139 to tell me that it was going to take another €120 per hour x 8 hours to get in and find out whats wrong. Computer showing fault in valve 2 and 3. They replaced the starter coils as part of a recall while it was in there. Which was nice.

The prices they were talking we pretty steep, so I brought the car to another independent garage and they tole me the drive train was fine. The car had a service done a year ago and it has an NCT cert for another year- end of 2016.
So the independents tell me that the issue is broken tibbits and a worn cam shaft.
They said it would be cheaper to get a new engine, but they can't find one in the last 4 days, so I am thinking of bringing the car back to the dealership.

Now, the question is, the dealership are going to rape me. But how can I try and make this work in my favour in any way? Yes, it will be nice having their team look over the car and fix it up, but I am wondering if I should wait and find an engine with the independents? They are quoting €800 for this all in.
Or should I just go with the dealership?

The one thing that is in any way hopeful about the dealership is that they said there is 'audi perfect care' or a similar scheme they operate whereby they can look to get up to a 60% discount on work done if it is shown that I am a repeat customer and so Audi will give me a break.
I am wondering if there is any truth to this at all?