Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

A8 exterior "Chrome"...observations and questions:

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default A8 exterior "Chrome"...observations and questions:

Observations:
1. The chrome on the grills (upper and lower), Audi rings (fr and rr) and rear lettering is all like brand new perfect and polishes up like "real" chrome.

2. All trim chrome (doors, q-panels,under trunk lid, front under headlights)faded-spotted-clouded and doesn't respond at all the same as above pieces. Completely different animal.

I thought maybe the good chrome was actually on steel...but a magnet says "no". Interesting side point: A magnet actual DOES stick to the lower door window "chrome" on the outside of all 4 doors and NOwhere else on the doors or the entire car (?).

The only thing that did anything with the mystery "trim" chrome, was accidently smearing a little leather treatment on rear door corner trim, which actually brought back chrome look temporarily. I went over all the "fake chrome" trim with this and looked good till it burned/washed off (quickly).

I'm sure I haven't tried everything yet, but experimenting with small areas I've unsuccessfully tried waxes, polishes, clearcoat paint, armour-all...nothin touches it, except oily stuff like leather treatment!!??

Lookin for any links, comments, opinions....Thanks.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

The trim in question is actually aluminum. And like many others, I myself am suffering from the same problem as you on my 05 A6. Audi decided to go with aluminum for environmental reasons, or so my owners manual says. If this trim isn't properly cleaned with a PH balanced solution, the coating wears off and you get the effect you described. From what I have read and tried, no amount of cleaning or products will restore the trim once it has reached this state (although I have read one person say that Quixx paint scratch remover restored it, but I can't vouch for this.) I may give the Quixx a shot, but if this doesn't work I'm considering taking some fine grit sandpaper to it and give it a brushed aluminum look, but I can't say if this will work out. Another option is vinyl wrap. Check out this video: http://www.streetfire.net/video/inst...ece_444706.htm

This vinyl wrap comes in a variety of colors. Chrome, black, brushed metal etc...
Only problem I came across with it is installation can be tough, and It really only lasts for about 3 years outdoors (longer if kept garaged of course). I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM
2nd Gear

It really is a shame that a car in this price range has this shortcoming. I'm a huge fan of this particular car from an engineering and driving point of view, but not a big fan of that much chrome. I love silver German cars anyway and fortunately my car (being silver) doesn't showcase the chrome much except on the grills and Audi rings, which are made of the good stuff and remain perfect. I've always had a problem with darker colors in A8's because the chrome trim contrasts so "loudly". I've had the car for 6 years, purchased as a CPO at 35K miles and all the trim was perfect then...but I have no garage, so it's been at the mercy of the weather.

You actually hit on my next plan...to carefully grind/polish down and probably recoat with clear coat (afraid that bare aluminum would quickly discolor, dull or the like), vinyl or even color match to the car.
Replacing the trim, as someone suggested on another forum, is out of the question...not only because of a major body disassemble, but the cost of individual pieces is beyond belief. Just for fun, I priced a complete replacement of the "bad" trim in question (not counting grill pieces, rings and lettering) and Audi retail came up to over $3700 for just the pieces...discount online prices totaled $2650!!!!!!!!!!! ....Hilarious!

Back to the drawing board. If I hit on a magic bullet, I'll post my results.

Thanks.

Last edited by silverd2; 10-19-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

im glad i saw this because i was going to post up the same question...does anyone have any experience with these products?

Meguiars - Trim Detailer
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...ectionID=16101

Meguairs - Hot Rims (aluminum and chrome polish) - says it removes oxidation and whatnot)
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...ectionID=17101

Im gunna try this out probably 2moro..it looks like its good for aluminum...ill let you know how it works: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/youtub...m=MEG%20G13508

i couldnt find the trim detailer but i did see the hot rims stuff at pep boys...since it seems to be made for rims i thought i would get some feedback on it before i bought it and applied it to the trim...

edit: after doing a quick search it looks like the trim detailer is more for plastic pieces like the fenders found on jeeps

Last edited by jmac1228; 11-05-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 AM
1st Gear

I haven't tried those particular items, but please post the results. I have noticed that when the trim is wet it looks great. Some products I have used gave it that 'wet look' and looked nice, but this only lasted until it got wet and washed the product off. I'm still debating lightly sanding it to achieve the 'brushed aluminum' look, then finishing it with a matte clear coat to protect it. Another idea I have been considering is getting some high gloss clear coat and applying it to the trim. My thinking with this is that when applied, the clear coat might give the trim that 'wet look' but stay this way even after the clear coat dries. Who knows, it might work. I will test this out on a small area in the next few days and post results.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

i ended up not doing it. i was reading around it looks like what we have is the polished aluminum. from what i read there is a clear coat on it and the only way to get rid of the oxidation would be to remove the clear coat. polish it up again, and then recoat it.

it looks like the meguairs stuff would be great for it before it gets all oxidatized, but i dont think its meant for this stuff and im not trying to spend $10 on a product that probably wont work and i have not use for in the end..

my car really needs to be clayed bad so which i plan on doing this week sometime. im gunna try usind the clay on the trim to see if it helps at all

Old 11-07-2010, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

look what i just found on another audi forum:

I saw your post a couple weeks ago and like you I have tried everything. And no help from the Audi dealership, where we just bought our pre-owned 2006 Audi A4. Today, I finally tried Quixx Repair Kit High Performance Scratch Remover, a German product. The window trim looks brand new. I only had to use the tubes #1 and #2 and not the sandpaper. I hope this helps.

heres a link to the original post: http://www.audi-forums.com/interiors...ndow-trim.html

$15 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Quixx-00070-US.../dp/B000UVUAFO

Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

I found that exact same thread, and if you noticed, I mentioned it to the original poster of this thread. I saw the Quixx kit at pepboys for around $20. Cheaper online of course. I am curious about this product as it is intended for scratches. If you decide to give it a shot post results. I will do the same.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

^^my fault...i didnt even realize that. yea im gunna see if i can find it at walmart or pepboys or something. if i try it ill post up the results

Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Has anyone restored the aluminum trim around the windshield of the convertible? Mine looks tarnished, and I used several polishes and waxes, and nothing worked.