Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Are clay bars difficult to use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 03:45 PM
3rd Gear
Default Are clay bars difficult to use?

I have some swirls in my A6 and a friend of mine told me to use a clay bar and it would look perfect. I was going to clay it and then apply the Klasse all in one for some shine. Is the clay bar worth it and is it hard to use?

Old 08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Are clay bars difficult to use?

Clay is not a replacement for polish or a compound; it is a mildly abrasive surface preparation, with an average particle size of 1- micron of Kaolin abrasives that polish and exfoliate contaminants by shearing and / or encapsulation, to remove embedded pollutants and debris from the paint film surface leaving behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability.

To remove surface scratches or micro marring will require an abrasive polish, the grade of abrasive would be dependant upon the extent of the surface imperfections.

The best way to describe the proper method for using detailer clay is to use plenty of the lubricant and aquaplane the clay bar over the surface in straight-line motions.

Frequency of use- a fine grade detailer’s clay will not remove a significant amount of paint /clear coat finish; but it will remove some waxes, it can be used as often as necessary to keep the surface free of contamination and smooth. Always apply a protective coat of wax or paint sealant after using detailer’s clay.
JonM

Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Administrator

in lamens terms.. nope not hard to use.. yep get great results really makes the surface smooth.. one of the best things you can do to your paint.. then throw some sealer or wax on it and make it shine!!!!

Old 08-24-2005, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

You might want to try Optimum Polish, and a (LC) white pad at speed #4 – 5.0 on a PC buffer, it’s a very ‘user-friendly product to remove the swirl marks
JonM

Old 07-10-2006, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear

TOGWT i like the way you think :P

Old 07-11-2006, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear

As TOWGT said, clay is not a substitute for polishing. As such, it will do nothing to remove scratches or swirl marks. Polish is your answer.

You may want to check out a post I made to another forum where somebody was asking a similar question. I pointed them to some good reading that talks about how to get rid of scratches (and how to detail your car in general). Good background for you and FREE! Here's the link: Click Here.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

TOGWT, nice to cross your path again. I was on a Detailing forum which you used to post frequently on and I do miss your learned advice and wit. You will not recognise me from my "handle" as my other user names are related to a different brand of vehicle.

I think the answers to the original questions have been well covered so no further comments from me

Old 07-31-2006, 05:41 AM
SoCal Crew Member

claybars= ownage, make sure you wax afterwards