Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Cleaning My Car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Cleaning My Car!

I have a 2004 A4, and I want to fully detail it. I want to take all the scuffs off the side doors, all the finger prints off the dash, and fully get it looking new. What products should I use to do this? Also, is it advisable to run my car through car washes? I'm worried about scratches and stuff.

I also need to clean my engine and the underside of the vehicle. What is the best prodcut to use on the leather? I have some plastic on the side of one of my seats that is fading, what can fix this?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Cleaning My Car!

I can't believe no one has jumped in here to help you.

First of all... NO NO NO! Do NOT use car washes. The brushes are too abrasive, the water is usually recycled, the soaps are **** poor.

Secondly... Do NOT use an Armorall type product for your dash. Contrary to its claims, it will accelerate the deterioration of your dash. It is very bad; it will dry out the dash and not protect it from the sun.

When washing the car (by hand), always start at the top and work your way down. Do one section at a time. Rinse as you go. Leave the rocker panels and under the bumpers for last and use another sponge or rag. Do the wheels after you are done with the car and use a separate rag or brush. I wash my wheels in between the waxing and buffing of my paint. Saves time.

For paint restoration (polishing) and waxing, you could use a number of products out there. Several are very good and everyone has a favorite brand. You'll get conflicting advice on brands all the time. Zaino tends to be highly regarded, but it's pricey. In most cases, you get what you pay for. Don't use the cheap 7-Eleven stuff or off-brand products from Pep-Boys. Meguiers and Mother's are brands in the middle of the pack. They aren't the best, but they won't hurt your car.

The real bottom line on polishing and waxing is more about the method and materials you use to apply the product. Don't skimp on quality all cotton terry towels and other items. This is where you should spend your money because if the applicator isn't good, then you will get streaking and you may even damage your finish.

That's a start. Maybe someone else will jump in now and add their tips.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear

What i do..to get rid of stupid scuffs and road crap and tar and such is sit my *** down with a SOFTTT toothbrush and toothpaste....nothing with bleach in it...just ur ordinary toothpaste and scrub out everything....Then wash my car twice..and since i just got the new Wolfgang poliosh enhancer and deep gloss paint sealant im gonna use those too...as for the interior and undercarriage..sorry cant help you there...

--E

Old 04-12-2005, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JDAslin81

I have a 2004 A4, and I want to fully detail it. I want to take all the scuffs off the side doors, all the finger prints off the dash, and fully get it looking new. What products should I use to do this? Also, is it advisable to run my car through car washes? I'm worried about scratches and stuff.

I also need to clean my engine and the underside of the vehicle. What is the best prodcut to use on the leather? I have some plastic on the side of one of my seats that is fading, what can fix this?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

For a great and economical interior cleaner, for both leather and vinyl, mix up some handwashable Woolite and water. Mix it 6 parts water to one part Woolite. Get some microfiber towels and get to cleaning. Spray the cleaner on the towel, use one as a cleaner the others as a dryer.

For the exterior you basically need to clean/polish/seal. The choice in products is yours, although I will say that you can wipe your car down with Pledge and it will look great as long as you properly prepped the paint. It's all in the prep of your paint, not your final wax.

Also, car washes are not bad. In fact a study showed that a tunnel car wash caused less marring on a paint than hand washing. Even the modern "brush" washes aren't that bad but the brushless are better.

Lastly, there is nothing wrong with Armor All. In fact it is one of the better dressings out there now that it has been reformulated. Years ago it had trouble but that has changed. Many professional detailers do not use it because it is rather glossy for interior work but it will not harm your interior.

Anthony

Old 05-16-2005, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 06-13-2005, 04:15 AM

To get tar, scuff marks or any contamints is detailer clay. It will not scratch your car like a toothbrush, it's non-abrasive. Clay is a must for first step detailing. IT removes heavy contamints that can damage your paint and if you skip it it will scratch your paint while applying wax. Then use a paint cleaner like Sonus paint cleaner to remove small contamints, paint discoloration (you'll see a big difference in shine). Then, use a polish like Autoglym Paint rejovinator to remove bad swirls or light scratches, then go to a non-abrasive polish like Autoglym Paint Super Resin Polish to flatten your clear coat for ultimate shine. Then use Klasse AIO to paint clean, light polish but adds acrylic to give the best durability using waxes or sealents, because they bond better. Then Klasse SG, that will give you the best protection on the market for 6 months. It bonds to your paint not like wax that sits on your paint. What's great about it is during the 6 months you don't have to repeat the whole process. YOu can keep adding SG or a carnuba wax like P21S or Pinnacle.

autopia-carcare.com is having a BIG sale and that's the cheapest place.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

For the Record, I would follow Anthony's advice, he is a true professional and respected by all in the trade. HI ANTHONY, nice running into here!!!!!!!! for more detailing information go here. www.perfectautofinish.com Gary

Old 06-16-2005, 06:48 AM

Armor All SUCKS!! Woolite Rocks!

Old 06-16-2005, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: turbomangt
For the Record, I would follow Anthony's advice, he is a true professional and respected by all in the trade. HI ANTHONY, nice running into here!!!!!!!! for more detailing information go here. www.perfectautofinish.com Gary
I did not even notice Anthony was on here! Yes, Anthony is VERY knowledgable and is well respected in the detailing world.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

Two words, Simple Green.

They have an ultra-concentrate that pretty much disintegrates bugs and road tar. Trust me, I live in Vermont.

I have used it long term to strip everything away but the paint and tyres with no visible damage to the car. Then I wash and wax. I must be a backcountry bumpkin but I have never heard of using clay before, and I have seen a lot of different methods done (NuFinish used as Rainex on windshields for instance...)

I like to use Simple Green Super Concentrate, Nu Finish wax, and Armor All Ultra Shine. Since I dont have stains on my carpet or anything of that nature (I had about $400 worth of cleaning chemicals alone back when I was buying 10 year old "normal people" cars...), I have vastly simplified my arsenal of cleaning gear.

I use sheepskin for washing, microfiber cloths for drying, wax-pads for waxing, and towel-then-microfiber for buffing off the wax. Rims I use an abraisive sponge and tires I use either abrasive or non-abrasive sponges on depending how I feel. Inside the car I use Armor All and Simple Green. And a massively over-powered vaccuum.Sounds simple but I have been known to blow a whole day washing and waxing alone, only to do the interior the next day. I have simply stopped buying car-wash soap though, I will have to look into claying a little more now that I have heard of it haha.