Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Convertibles through Touchless Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM
1st Gear
Question Convertibles through Touchless Car Washes

How do you all feel about convertibles going through touchless car washes? I typically wash by hand but on the road I don't have that luxury. I have great concern about top damage and excessive leakage.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I don't feel confident in taking any of my cars through an "automatic" car wash. Just too many variables to account for. If you are on the road, I think you would do better to find one of those wash bay type car washes.

-just my opinion

Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
I don't feel confident in taking any of my cars through an "automatic" car wash. Just too many variables to account for. If you are on the road, I think you would do better to find one of those wash bay type car washes.

-just my opinion
Wow. Thanks for the picture. Haven't seen one of those before.

Anyone have any actual experience with a convertible through a automatic touchless car wash?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Convertibles in Touchless Car Wash

I asked my Audi Service Tech about taking my A4 Cabriolet through a touchless car wash and he said it was okay just expect some water to seep in. He then said they put all their cars through one after service, including mine, without any problems.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

I tried the automatic car wash a few times this weekend on a road trip. For the most part no issues. I avoided the wax/polish package because I didn't know what it would do to the convertible top. The first wash was in the "Laser Wash" system. In retrospect, it was perfect because it was a gentle wash. I went through another "3 minute" wash that was very nice with attendant prep. This was the kind that pulls your car trough the wash system. But, it rattled the top so much I thought it was going to cave in. I even had some water drip in unlike the previous wash. It definitely did the trick for a quick wash job and knocking off all the bugs but I would recommend a gentle system for convertibles if you have too. Primarily, I'm going to stick with the hand wash system.

Last edited by Audictd; 05-26-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Automatic car wash

I run my '06 A4 through an automatic car wash every 3 weeks. I live in Phoenix so it doesn't get very dirty, just dusty. I get the "light touch up wash" $3 and NO wax as it's not good for the top. About twice a year I hand wash and wax the car and treat the top with RaggTopp and clean and treat the interior leather with Leatherique. The car looks like new except for the creases in the top fold, which I cannot get out. If anyone knows how to get rid of these, please post it. The car is white with a tan top. It only has 26,000 miles and I've never had a problem with it. I love the car.
Johannes

Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

what kind of service are you referring to that the dealer or manufacturer put it through to stop the car from leaking in car wash? The manufacturer is saying that their is nothing they can do which is really irritating since the cars are not cheap. In my opinion a car of that price range and quality should not leak under any circumstance. This is my first convertible that leaks