Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

hazy headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:33 AM
4th Gear
Default hazy headlights.

I usualy just use the buffer and some fine liquid compond like meguires medium cut to get it off, but its getting worse and I'm not able to get all the little stuff out of the lense. you have any products that you can recomend for this.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:44 AM
1st Gear
Default [b]Novus Plastic Polish Kit[/b]

Novus 1 - gently cleans all plastics without scratching, leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust, and eliminates static.
Novus 2 - removes fine scratches, haziness, and abrasions from most plastics (exceptional for removing scratches from Plexiglas). Use repeatedly and restore faded and discoloured plastics.
Novus 3 -removes heavy scratches and abrasions from most acrylic surfaces. Contains abrasives, not for use on eyeglasses, polycarbonate, or coated plastics, final finishing also requires the use of Novus 2.

Application Methodology:
•Use a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) if this does not remove the oxidation use a plastic polish
•Meguiar’s PlastX contains a microscopic diminishing abrasive, which requires a little pressure when applying it to enable these abrasives to remove the discoloured plastic and expose new plastic. Or Renovo Plastic Cleaner
•Plastic Cleaners can be used to clean and condition Perspex as well as flexible plastic but is not suitable for use on glass.
•Prior to application of a plastic polish ensure that the window is clean and free from dust particles by washing with a soft cloth and warm water.
•It is not advisable to use cleaning detergents on plastic.
•Shake the bottle thoroughly. Plastic polish can be hand or machine applied
•Using a random orbital buffer with a 3.5-inch backing plate and a 4-inch (LC White) polishing pad or a terry cloth applicator
•Place a small dab (about ½-inch diameter) of plastic polish on the foam pad or applicator.
•Place the pad on the lens surface and turn on the machine (speed #4)
•Polish the lens repeatedly in a left-to-right and an up and down pattern.
•Continue polishing until all the polish is gone
•Wipe the lens with a damp Microfiber towel
•Inspect the lens, repeat the polishing process 2-3 times as necessary
•Plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and oxidation (yellowing)

{each one / teach one][then student /becomes teacher}
JonM

Old 01-04-2006, 04:18 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: [b]Novus Plastic Polish Kit[/b]

thanks where can I pick this up or order it .

Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.tubro.com/novus_order_form.htm

hope that should help flyboy, i use 3m's cleaner and polish. I hear great things about novus.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: hazy headlights.

I've used a kit designed specifically for headlights that is sold at www.properautocare.com. I suspect the liquids that are packaged with are nothing more fancy than mild polishing agents, but what is nice about the kit is that it comes with a 2 1/2" backing plate and two pads -- the perfect size for doing headlights.

Worked like a CHAMP! Here's the URL: Black Baron Headlight Polishing Kit.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

With my Mitsubishi I've always just used a $3 can of Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Put on a towel and rub it onto the lens, works perfect.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 AM
SoCal Crew Member

kickass dudes, get the nasty look of my lights

Old 08-01-2006, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

I had some bad oxidation on my lenses as well. Meguires Plastic X did a pretty nice job, but the oxidation was too heavy.

I ended up wet sanding my lenses with 3000 Grit sandpaper I purchased off of www.autopia.org, then using the Meguires Plastic X to clean the lenses overall and finishing them

with Zaino Bros plastic polish. This whole process made an incredible difference!

OOOO

[IMG]local://upfiles/13659/BCD6BD2EB02C4D67B31B82E7F317E174.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-04-2006, 12:06 PM

You can also color sand the lamps with 2000 wet/dry and polish to make them look new again. Then you can put on top of lenses a 14mill clear Urethane stiop to protect against rock chips and yellowing. I have done several of them for guys at streetwerks and no complaints so far.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Agreed - plastic polish can work wonders - hopefully that'll finish it for you.

Quick Reply: hazy headlights.