Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Removing seats to clean carpets - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Removing seats to clean carpets - worth it?

So the DPO had a dog... no big deal I thought I'll just vacuum up the hair and it won't be a problem. Well it turns out the dog hair is EVERYWHERE, when I took off the steering wheel there was even a few dog hairs behind the air bag! Anyway, the guy liked to take his dog to the beach so there is sand and hair under neath the driver's seats. I'm thinking I might take out the seats and then rent one of those steam cleaning bissel machines or something and go nuts on the carpets and get the car smelling a little fresher.

Anyone taken the seats out just to clean properly before? Do you think it's worth the trouble?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Removing seats to clean carpets - worth it?

Seat Removal:
For a thorough interior cleaning, removal of the seats will allow access to hard to reach areas. It's relatively easy if you take your time and are careful. You should disconnect the battery before starting, but you may still have to have to dealer reset the instrument airbag warning indicator light when you're done

Front bucket seats are typically held down by four bolts on the ends of the runners at the base of the seat, two in the front and two in the back, these bolts are usually torque down hard (when replacing start the bolt by hand, being very careful not to cross-thread them) These are removed using a socket wrench. Sometimes the bolts are covered by a decorative plastic moulding, which is held in place by a screw or just pops off using a prying action with a slotted screwdriver. First, slide the seats to its rear-most position, exposing the front bolts, remove, then, sliding the seat to its forward position, exposing the rear bolts, remove.

When all four bolts have been removed, gently tilt the seat either forward or back to reveal any wires that are connected to the underside of the seat (for seat position controls, heaters, seat belt sensors, etc.) Carefully unplug these wires, and remove the seat from the vehicle, taking care not to scratch seat or paint surfaces as you lift out the seat. Cover the remaining wire harness with a plastic bag and aluminium foil; this will prevent water and cleaning solution from getting into the wiring harness.

Some vehicles have airbags sensors in the seats.You should disconnect the battery before starting, but when you unplug the seat wiring harness with airbags or airbag sensors, the computer senses this and trips the light (s) and/or message which must be reset by the dealer when you’ve re-installed the seats
[/b]

Old 01-26-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Removing seats to clean carpets - worth it?

I have done this before if you do it remember to let it dry all day before putting everything back but i would do using fabreeze or buy dog spray nutrelizer just vacum good and use these items is all you need probably unless there are stains and stuff

Old 11-23-2020, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for sharing some suggestions for cleaning the carpet from car. I must follow your steps and method while doing carpet cleaning or extracting the dirt, stains, etc. from car.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Scrub carpets with lukewarm and vinegar mixture, it's the best carpet cleaning method widely used by all.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:09 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your suggestions, i will definitely do as said and use it as a carpet cleaner when needed.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MissingLink
I have done this before if you do it remember to let it dry all day before putting everything back but i would do using fabreeze or buy dog spray nutrelizer just vacum good and use these items is all you need probably unless there are stains and stuff
I use portable vacuum cleaner for carpet cleaning but surely try the method for once as mentioned above.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:51 AM
1st Gear

In my experience it all depends on how dirty your carpets are and how easily reachable the stains are. If you are lucky, all you have to do is take a car vacuum cleaner and suck up all the dirt and you're done. But if they are caked with dirt, stains of various sorts and sticky residue you should probably remove them (if possible) and scrub them clean or remove the seats when the carpet is fixed. It always helps to use the right tools and products. It all depends on the situation, there is no magic solution that works best for every car.