Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Removing Swirl Marks/Blemishes

Old 09-07-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Removing Swirl Marks/Blemishes

I have a black 2007 A3 that I bought used a couple of months ago. It drives great, but unfortunately it seems like the previous owner never really put any effort into caring for the paint. As a result there are swirl marks and blemishes on several parts of the car (mostly on the hood and roof). What would be the most effective way to restore the paint short of taking the car to a body shop? I have a porter cable buffer if its needed.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by xxplosive
I have a black 2007 A3 that I bought used a couple of months ago. It drives great, but unfortunately it seems like the previous owner never really put any effort into caring for the paint. As a result there are swirl marks and blemishes on several parts of the car (mostly on the hood and roof). What would be the most effective way to restore the paint short of taking the car to a body shop? I have a porter cable buffer if its needed.
I know your pain all too well. I purchased a navy blue 06 A6 recently and I have the exact same problem. I wash weekly and have tried many methods (air drying doesn't work, by the way. Going 90 on the freeway will get you little more than a speeding ticket. Take it from a pro ). From my experience, the best way is to take it to a car wash and do the usual to it (high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, spot free rinse) and then whip out some microfiber towels. Cheapo cotton towels will NOT work (if anything they make it look worse). Pick up some soft microfiber towels from Autozone or Checker and dry the entire car with them. It will definitely take more than one since they are small and thin. To cover up the light scratchy swirls, get some spray-on Turtle Wax and buff the car small portions at a time with your microfiber towels (dry ones, of course). Microfiber towels also work fantastic on windows.

By blemishes, I assume you mean visible scratches in the paint. Since all of the Audi's have a manufacturer paint code, I would suggest hunting that down and getting a touch up marker or touch up paint. If you do, be sure to wash really good before applying it. There isn't much of a home remedy for small dings and dents unless you feel like taking all the body paneling off of your brand new A3 and whacking it with a mallet.

Last edited by turbofarts; 09-07-2008 at 10:15 PM.