Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Tried out Meguiars' 3-step detailing program today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator
Default Tried out Meguiars' 3-step detailing program today...

I decided to try Meguiar's 3-step detailing process today (Cleaner Wax, Deep Crystal Polish, and Finishing Wax), and I'm actually pretty impressed. I've known that Meguiar's makes some pretty good stuff, and have used it for a long time, but like a lot of people here I've been using some upper-end detailing products for the last few years (Zaino, S100/P21S, etc). I need to get more of that stuff as I was out of it, and in the mood to clean up my ride, so it seemed like a fairly cost-effective system to get a nice look to the car (the three stages cost me a total of about $27 at Advance Auto Parts). I washed and dried the car, then went stepwise using microfiber towels for application and removal of each stage. Overall, it came out pretty nicely, especially considering how inexpensive the products are - I'm impressed. For a budget detailing, to me this one seems hard to beat. My car has 145k miles on it, has never been repainted, and still gleams very nicely. I also decided to try the tire gel that you see advertised on TV, the one that is applied with a sponge - I forget the name - just because I've never used it, and I have to say I really like it. Unlike the Black Magic Tire Wet that I usually use, this stuff goes on much more evenly, and you can drive right afterward. With the Tire Wet, I've found that the car needs to sit for about 20 minutes so the product can absorb and dry, or it gets flung off onto the bodywork. Overall, for about $35 out the door (I had the microfiber towels already), I can't complain about the results.

Forgive me for pic-whoring a mostly stock B5, but my purpose here is to show the results of the 3-step detailing process that I bought. I give it a thumbs-up.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Tried out Meguiars' 3-step detailing program today...

Now a quick question, how long did it take you & how is your shoulder today?
The 3 step is the way to go, regardless of what product you use.

If you buy a Porter Cable & some pads, the whole thing will look much better & take 1/3 the time.

But it looks good!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Actually I feel fine. The nice thing about those products is how easily they apply and come off. It's not like when I used to use Zymol, and if it was on there even 30 seconds too long, it practically took a chisel to remove. Those products went on and off really easily and that is probably another part of why I'm happy with their finish. I do have a pair of orbital buffers too, but I've been lazy and haven't washed the mitts for them, so I decided to just do the whole thing by hand. And I agree with you completely - multi-stage processes are far superior to using one do-it-all type of product. The finished product looks much better that way.

Overall I spent about 4 1/2 hours on the car (including interior, wheels, and tires as well as body), which I don't look at as being too bad an amount of time (I have spent 12 hours on my engine alone on my former 300ZX getting it ready for a show). I agree though - even though this stuff all buffed off very smoothly with almost no swirling at all, the buffer would've made things easier and faster. Next time...

Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

Great work Jeremy, very clean.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Thanks bro - I was happy to see that a paint job with that age and mileage would come out that clean

Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

Good job on your detail. It goes to show that you can get good results almost regardless what products you use along with some proper techniques and the proper process. What part of NY are you located in? We're right in Albany.

George

Old 09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Man, i used that 3 step process when i first gotmy car and WOW, it looked like a totally different car..really good products! Looks great! Nice and shiny looking ...man i love that look on cars...i wish it would last longer, soon dirt and weather takes over[:@]

Old 09-14-2007, 10:48 AM

very good stuff but hard work

Old 09-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Yep, it is great really, especially for a budget detail. Next time I do it, I'm going to use the S100 wax that I usually use, as the finishing step, and use the orbital buffer to remove each stage, and it ought to be ridiculously shiny...for the first 10 minutes until the road grime sets in

Old 10-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Sorry George, was just re-reading this thread and realized I missed your question - I'm in Binghamton, about 2 hours down I88 from you. I may be heading up to Albany in the next month or so to do a little early Xmas shopping for my kids - if so, I'll buzz you and maybe some of us can meet up for a beer?

Quick Reply: Tried out Meguiars' 3-step detailing program today...