Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Who has had problems with new car paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Who has had problems with new car paint?

Hi all,
I am putting this out there because I really need to see if anyone else is having the same problems with a new Audi and the factory paint. I am on my second Audi and so far I am not very happy with the factory paint. I originally had an A3 that had been through hell and back but never had any issues with the paint. My 2011 Q5 is a whole different story. I don't really know how to describe the extent of how bad the factory clear coat is, but let's just say it makes me not want to own another Audi if the paint is going to be this bad. Just to fill you in, my first issue was with a bug that I hit on the highway. It was only on the paint for a few hours however the bug actually ate through the clear coat,on the hood. They buffed it out as much as possible, but lit still shows. I then used the same brush my father in law does on his Porsche Boxster after a road trip and it left some nasty scratches all over the hood and along the sides of the car. I have been in touch with the dealer several times and I feel like I am getting the runaround as the answer I get is that these cars are delicate. To which I always cite my old Audi and that I never had a problem with it. On this last incident, they told me to bring it back in and they will see what they can do.
I just want to know if Nyone has had similar problems with their new Audi as this just doesn't make any sense to me that the softest of brushes can leave deep scratches!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

parrish

Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Administrator

I never heard of anything like that - Audi typically has high-quality paint finishes. There's no reason at all why a bug should eat through clearcoat in a few hours.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:41 PM
1st Gear
Default That can happen to all

I wouldn't say it's an exclusive problem with audi's paint. I've seen what you describe and way worse, from bugs, tree fall out, acid rain, bird droppings(one of the worst), those "soft" brushes that some use to wash their cars, you name it. And on all types of cars ferrari, bentley, mercedez benz wich paint is really good, porsche all kinds of paint. If you never had any issues with your A3 I'd say you we're lucky or didn't really pay close attention. Keep in mind that some stuff that falls on your car may look hard to get rid off and with a simple wash comes off and other that sometimes you may not even notice and eats through the clear coat even if you have a really good wax on it. Now most of the time all this defects can be corrected but you have to go to the right person o the right place or you will regret it. In your case while sometime the dealer can help, usually they have common people doing "detailing" cause for what they pay no good detailer will work for them. Sorry I got way off topic. Again to your problem they should be able to sand it down if by just buffing doesn't do the trick, but just a little bit like with a 1500 grit sand paper and finish off with 2500 grit then compound, polish and use a good wax or sealer to protect it, and do the waxing thing regularly at lest to the front end, and you can do it yourself.
Good luck and I hope the stealership can fix your problem or find a good detailer.
Take good care of your paint.
No matter what paint is very delicate. ON ALL CARS. some more then other but still.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Paintwork on New A5

But that's just the point... The original poster is reporting about the new car's paintwork exhibiting a strange lack of resistance to something that is usually seen as a mild threat. What makes this remarkable is this person is no stranger to Audis... he has something with which he can make a direct comparison. And my own experience is similar.

So now compare this with my own story, where I have a red 2006 A4 Cabriolet, and in almost 70,000 miles it's taken maybe a half dozen little paint chips, and no damage whatsoever from birds or insects.... Something I'd have reasonably expected.

On the other hand, my new (arum beige) 2011 A5 Cabriolet already has at least as many paint chips in just 10,000 miles! I'm supposing if it turns out there's a fundamental problem with the 2011 paint, we could end up with a class action suit. I'm convinced the car will need a new paint job way before its time.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by uscourt3000
But that's just the point... The original poster is reporting about the new car's paintwork exhibiting a strange lack of resistance to something that is usually seen as a mild threat. What makes this remarkable is this person is no stranger to Audis... he has something with which he can make a direct comparison. And my own experience is similar.

So now compare this with my own story, where I have a red 2006 A4 Cabriolet, and in almost 70,000 miles it's taken maybe a half dozen little paint chips, and no damage whatsoever from birds or insects.... Something I'd have reasonably expected.

On the other hand, my new (arum beige) 2011 A5 Cabriolet already has at least as many paint chips in just 10,000 miles! I'm supposing if it turns out there's a fundamental problem with the 2011 paint, we could end up with a class action suit. I'm convinced the car will need a new paint job way before its time.

Well you maybe right, I don't own a 2011 audi but one thing what I can tell you for sure is that all paint is really delicate and all get damage from bird droppings, keep in mind not all droppings are the same, different birds different diets jajaja. If there something wrong with 2011 or latest model paints I hope audi takes resposability. I do proffesional auto detailing and it sucks to see brand new cars look like crap, wich I've always seen on all types of brand new cars since I do detailing wich is 2002.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

I appreciate all the responses thus far. All I can do is go to the dealer and explain everything that I have dealt with and give them the oppurtunity to make this right.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

I got an S4 and after 3 winter driving on canadian roads I had more chips than on my previous 10 Y old S4!

They are very very small chips.. but the clear coat and paint are very fragile.

Once I just held a carton box on the back 1/4 panel while opening the door and it left a mark!

Went to the dealer and they said it was the small rocks on the road who did it!

Agreed... but could it be the paint that is not to standtards? If you kick a tire and it explodes.. yes.. your foot did it... but sure the tire has a problem

Solution .. well I would like to know how many other are facing similar problems.. but I had it polished and put VentureShield.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Note: My current s4 is 2012, purchased in 2011.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 PM
OTD
1st Gear

what color is it?? black, brilliant black?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

Phantom black.

Yes.. makes things more visible.. but a chip that goes to the primer is irrelevant to color.

Quick Reply: Who has had problems with new car paint?