DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

DIY Accessing/replacing rear deck speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default DIY Accessing/replacing rear deck speakers

I know personally I got caught up on a couple different things when i was trying to get to my rear deck speakers and there wasn't really a full write up with picture's and all so i figured I'd make one. Also just to note, this is being done on an 01 a4 with the Bose symphony system.

First off, THE SPEAKER GRILLE CANNOT AND DOES NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED, the previous owner of my car obviously tried to remove it and here's what happened
Name:  tmpphpploYRA.jpg
Views: 3742
Size:  88.4 KB

Tools needed: Socket wrench with 13mm socket, phillips head screw driver (a stubby one will work best) and i used a clip remover (optional)
Name:  tmpphp9G2bqm.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  97.7 KB

The first thing to do is pop open your trunk and unplug the third break light so you dont end up ripping that out of there. (If you dont know where this is it's my the middle clip, as you can see in one of the last pictures)

The next part is what i used my clip remover for just because i have fun using it, but you could use a flathead screwdriver or probably even your hands. But take whatever you choose to use and pop off the plastic piece on the car seat hook to uncover the bolt
Name:  tmpphpebDGJ2.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  63.3 KB

Just for reference you get these 4 pieces from each car seat hook once its completely taken out:
Name:  tmpphp3vPFMt.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  56.1 KB

Next your going to want to drop your seats down, depending on how good of a condition your rear deck is in you might want to take off the outter seat cushions that do not drop down with the seats (sorry i dont have the real name for you). Mine were already a little jacked up in that area of the deck so i chose to just lift it up and over.
Name:  tmpphpUx95Ku.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  95.5 KB

Once you have this done you are going to want to lift up on the edge of the outter edge of the deck (where the seats used to be) and it is held in by clips so you'll feel it "pop" up. Now you are going to want to pull the entire deck towards you while lifting up to get it over the speakers, i found it easiest to do this by sticking my fingers in the holes where the car seat hooks used to be.
Name:  tmpphp4j2ZGB.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  74.1 KB

When you have the deck off you are going to want to slide it down and it will lay against/on your seats since you cant disconnect it from the seat belts.
Name:  tmpphpakUpe8.jpg
Views: 2548
Size:  79.0 KB

At this point you should clearly be able to see both speakers each of which should be connected by 4 screws, although the last owner of my car must have decided the last one was too difficult to put in. But there is not much room back there which is why the stubby screwdriver is suggested.
Name:  tmpphpzYXLtB.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  69.2 KB

Putting the deck back on is pretty much just the opposite except when your sliding it back into its position you have to push down on the back a little bit so that you get these 3 clips where they need to go:
Name:  tmpphpbA0tMM.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  75.3 KB
Name:  tmpphpjOmUtV.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  tmpphpZCpu1L.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  68.0 KB

But once you have that just make sure the corners of your deck are behind the seat cushion and that the clips are hit back in and your good to go, hope this helped some of you out or at least cleared up some confusion!

Last edited by meloman; 04-18-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:40 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

cant see pics... but appreciate the DIY. Please submit at www.audidiy.com

Old 04-18-2010, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
cant see pics... but appreciate the DIY. Please submit at www.audidiy.com
If anybody knows how i can get the pics to actually stay up I'd appreciate it, i just loaded them onto photobucket so i dont know why it says they're not there.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM
3rd Gear

I did this a month ago, very easy. Glad to see someone finally made a DIY!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

My Bose equipped 2000 A6 does not have any speakers on the rear deck. It has on 6 1/2 inch speaker in each rear door plus the sub in the trunk.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by feirstein
My Bose equipped 2000 A6 does not have any speakers on the rear deck. It has on 6 1/2 inch speaker in each rear door plus the sub in the trunk.
....mmmm K