Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

03 audi A4 radio problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Default 03 audi A4 radio problems?

I have the symphony radio in my audi a4 and it only gets 1 radio station. Usually at my home I get perfect signal for my radio stations and my audi gets nothing. The dealer said they dont know what's wrong so they are going to try and get a metra antenna or something like that and try it on my car. What is really wrong with the radio? Where is the antenna even?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 AM
4th Gear

the attenna ontop of the rear window in a lil panel that opens up. Lemme try to find a diy and post it up

Old 12-23-2009, 11:52 PM

I have an 02 3.0 Q and I have the same issue.

Can't wait to see the DIY.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by pa4ul
the attenna ontop of the rear window in a lil panel that opens up. Lemme try to find a diy and post it up
Yup - and that houses the Antenna Amplifier circuitry. I have a similar problem right now - the FM radio reception went in the toilet.

I pulled off the panel (you just PULL outwards towards yourself) and took out the antenna amp. It had some small cosmetic cracks, which didn't seem to affect it (but who knows).

I MAY have solved MY issue - I simply pushed REALLY hard in the middle-right of the circuit board and it seems to make the reception better. I hope this fix stays working - because a replacement amp seems to be about $400 which obviously is not worth it.

Important note: Do NOT try to pull the rubber/plastic coating off the circuit board. It is SEALED in place around all the components. You will rip components out if you try.

Here is a picture of the antenna amplifier out of the car: (attached)

Attached Thumbnails 03 audi A4 radio problems?-img_0005.jpg   03 audi A4 radio problems?-img_0006.jpg  
Old 12-27-2009, 10:08 AM

I dont have my car right now because its in the shop, but I dont think theres any panel on top of the roof. I think its just solid. I may be wrong

Old 12-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by adam_schell2239
I dont have my car right now because its in the shop, but I dont think theres any panel on top of the roof. I think its just solid. I may be wrong
It's a B6? Between the ceiling and the back window.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by asutherland
It's a B6? Between the ceiling and the back window.
I see a long panel across from the inside above the rear seat headrests, but nothing from the outside.

Is that the panel to open to get access to the antenna?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by john@astigracing.com
I see a long panel across from the inside above the rear seat headrests, but nothing from the outside.

Is that the panel to open to get access to the antenna?
Yes. You have to access it from the inside. That panel pulls out towards you on clips. The antenna amplifier is underneath it, clipped up against the inside of the rear window at the top.

Mine is still acting up... I'm not sure what can be done about it.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Okay good.

Which side are the clips located?

Hey thanks a lot.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:56 PM

No problem. The clips are near the top (half way between the top and the middle). You have to yank on it quite hard to remove it, but be careful not to put too much leverage on the plastic - you don't want to break it.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 03 audi A4 radio problems?