Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2001 Audi A4 B5 - Dead fuel/temp/speedometer gauges

Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi A4 B5 - Dead fuel/temp/speedometer gauges

I have a problem with my instruments on my Audi. All of the fuel/temp and speedometer indicators are dead. I have check that all of the fuses are okey.

Last time this happen, was after I had flat batteri, and start the car via jumper cables. The indicators was dead. I let the auto repair check fault message, and fuses. They dident find anything. Fuses where okey.

But when I drove from the auto repair, everything works just fine!

So, since this problem shows up again, after I have been opening the cover to the fuses, and put it back on. I suspect that it could be a bad connection some where. But it is not easy to access backside of the instrument panel to check plugs on the backside. Or maybe a relay hang up, if there is some one relay connected to those indicators?

So, before I go to the auto repair, is there somebody that have experied this? And can give me some advice?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator

The cluster takes 90 seconds to remove. Pop the trim at the base of the column, remove two screws, and pull the left side toward you. Reach in to access the connectors, pop them off, and slide the gauges out.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM

Hi there. Hope i am not to late. I drive a 2001 Audi A4 1.8. I had the exact same problem, and when i searched and found your post i hoped there were a answer, i was out of options. i disconnected my battery leads ti clean them, when i put them back, this is what i had;
The car started but all most instantly died every time. You could hear something was cutting it. The instrument was all dead no gauges working and no back lights, also there were no Odo reading or time and date showing. I fiddled round with all the pugs under the hood, i washed the engine just before taking off the leads, so i was trying to see if one got wet or was not making connection after the WAP treatment. well this went on for several hours, reconnecting and disconnecting the battery, over and over, the central locking was working fine, but i still recoded the key, just for incase. i also did the, positive pole lead and negative put together, disconnected of course, and turning the key to the on position for 30 sec, nothing. Then i unplugged the ECU for 15min, still nothing . Around 10pm i took my wife's Astra's battery out and connected it. Odo reading sowing, but no gauges or back light working, but she started. idled rough, back firing a little, suppose because of the ECU reset attempt. But the computer steped in an within 2min she purred like a kitten. I switched off and started a few times, she nran fine, but still nothing on the dash.

Some of the sites i visited said that if the battery volt level is too you might get some electrical problems. So i disconnected again and placed the battery on charge for the night. The next morning very confident, battery charged fully, i connected it. aaah can U BELIEVE IT, same problem all over again, start and dies, bla bla. Changed back to the old battery, nothing. tried all the other crap nothing. so i left the original in and went, to go goolge some more.after about an hour, this is where i found your post, and still just finding the same advise or crap i decided to go look if i could see something.

As i said central locking worked all along. I pressed the open button, opened the door. AND WHAT DO I SEE: a Odo reading, key in the ignition turn>>>> she purs, instruments working, back lights the whole 9 yards. On off, on off. starts every time.

My conclusion- after a battery disconnection and "our" problem arises you re connect, positive terminal first, and leave for a hour. I think. maybe a Audi Tech can verify this. this then makes sense it you take in consideration, the pages i read, that said a new battery must be, assigned or allocated to your ECU, i suppose in this hour my ECU did that by himself. time might be less, seeing i tried a lot of stuff and never really gave it a chance, i guess wait until Odo reading reapers.

I hope i did not boar you, just wanted to give as much info as possible. Hope this helps, and you didn't have to spend a fortune.

If possible and it did or didn't work, please reply post.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:57 AM
1st Gear
Default I think I am having the same issue

After I had replace the battery of my 2001 Audi A4, all my gauges were off, my speedometer went down beyond zero. my car temperature gauge is always on cold. How do I fix this issue?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 PM

I had the same problem when i bought the car, all though she started and ran well, the problems you mentioned were present. i took her to a shop to ran the pc to see what the problem were. they checked the fuses and reset the ECU to no avail. The computer showed no faults. while the "tech" were out to get a replacement air sensor i unscrewed the water bottle. under there you will find 4 plugs clamped to the rear wall. One by one I unpluged them, and replaced them, then under the black cover over the powerstearing flued bottle there were some more, and i did the same. went back into the cat started it, and all was fine. The "tech" returned supprised, asked how, i told him. he then replied with "oh yeh, those cables are the sensors in the engine's connectors to the ECU's wiring. trust me he felt small.

Since then no problems. hope this was helpful. please let me know.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

Tnx for good advices! I will be trying those advices when I am back home from my work. I will post the result here after x-mas some time!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

I just bought a 98 A6 and the gas and temp gauges are not working. Also, the large digital one in the middle is fading and flickering. I'm going to try the trick mentioned above with the sensors and whatnot. I'll let you know if it works.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi frustrated but loving it
I had the same problem when i bought the car, all though she started and ran well, the problems you mentioned were present. i took her to a shop to ran the pc to see what the problem were. they checked the fuses and reset the ECU to no avail. The computer showed no faults. while the "tech" were out to get a replacement air sensor i unscrewed the water bottle. under there you will find 4 plugs clamped to the rear wall. One by one I unpluged them, and replaced them, then under the black cover over the powerstearing flued bottle there were some more, and i did the same. went back into the cat started it, and all was fine. The "tech" returned supprised, asked how, i told him. he then replied with "oh yeh, those cables are the sensors in the engine's connectors to the ECU's wiring. trust me he felt small.

Since then no problems. hope this was helpful. please let me know.
Tried this...didn't work.

Still searching.