Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

96 A4Q Bose System

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Default 96 A4Q Bose System

So I've been reading for about an hour (or even 2). It sounds like there is no possible way to install my Sony XM radio in my little A4. That was my plan for tonight until I started searching around these forums. So if I understand right, the output from a standard head unit will overwork the bose amps because of the impedance difference?

I am not willing to rewire the entire stereo system right now. I just wanted a little more bass (2 - 10's) and XM radio. I can live without XM if I have to. (Although I won't be happy about it, especially since I already bought all the stuff.).

So the root question is where would I hook one of those RCA jack thingy's (line converter?) to get an input line for my amp?.

Is there anything else I might blow up if I'm not delicate enough? I really love driving this little car around, even with the little gremlins everyone else seems to have also. So far this car is way better (in the way of gremlins anyways) than my project cars (Starion/Conquests).

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't know the difference between the newer systems like symphony and such to know what applies to my car and what doesn't.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Default RE: 96 A4Q Bose System

I hate to reply to myself but I also don't want the thread to die before I hear from anybody.

So I was reading some more and caught mention of people using a line level generator to lower the input signal to the BOSE amplifier. This was being performed on a VW with a BOSE premium sound system. Is there any reason I couldn't do this with an Audi with what might be an identical BOSE premium system? The deck I am wanting to install has (I think) front low level outputs so I can send a signal to the BOSE amplifiers if I could put an adaptor in place that would tie in RCA's.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Default RE: 96 A4Q Bose System

Since I never heard from anyone, I thought I would post the results of my adventure.

What I ended up doing was installing a power wire throught the ECU box, directly to the battery, run down the drivers side door jamb and under the back seat.

The ground wire I hooked to one of the luggage anchors under the trunk carpet.

I tapped in to the amp remote power wire for signal (white wire).

I went to Best Buy and bought an adjustable line level adaptor and tapped that in to the speaker outputs on the amp (all grey with brown, blue, yellow and I can't remember the last color)

The adjustments are really finiky but once dialed in I think the system sounds really well balanced. I can just about have the subs (2 - 10's) completely off or slamming right along just by using the bass adjustor on the radio. Overall the system sound quality is really good. If I was after a slamming system, I wouldn't be happy.

After all of my reading on this and various other sites I still can't see why using a stereo with line level outputs (like my Sony Xplod) for the high and mid speakers would not work. In the future if I get a wild hair up my a$$ I think I will give it a shot.

Has anyone ever tried hooking up a line level output directly in to the BOSE system?