Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

'99.5 B5 navigation help needed, double DIN possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:35 AM
1st Gear
Default '99.5 B5 navigation help needed, double DIN possible?

Hi there, new to forums but looking for help with my 99.5 A4.
I currently have the stock BOSE system with a Concert deck. I'm hoping to replace my existing deck with an aftermarket navigation unit. At this point I'm leaning toward the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, I like the fact that the illumination can be changed to match the red dash lights already in the car, though I am open to suggestions. The big problem I'm running into is that the Concert is only a single DIN sized receiver whereas I would need a double DIN sized opening to accommodate most any deck. We also have a '00 A4 in the family with the Symphony system, besides the larger head unit, it looks as if the only difference in the dash is a climate control unit and an ashtray that have been shifted down. What I'm hoping is that there is some third party molding that would allow me to change my '99.5 opening to match that of a '00 and allow me to install a double DIN sized navigation. Has anyone heard of/ seen such a modification done? Any tips, suggestions, or pictures you may have would help huge and be much appreciated.
Thanks.