Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

amp wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 AM
Default amp wiring question...

i'm going to be adding a sub and amp to the bose system, and am using the writeup in the diy section. question is, i have a small mono amp with rca in, but it is only one rca in, not 2. should i splice the line level right rear or the line level left rear to the rca input on the amp?

and is the bose amp on the passenger or driver side in the trunk? cuz i heard it was on the passenger side, but saw an install of a phatbox, and thought i saw the amp on the driver side....

Old 11-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Default RE: amp wiring question...

I would tap both RCA inputs of the amp, run both cables (left and right) to the amp, and then use a Y-jack to taper it to one plug. This will combine the signals from both sides into a mono signal, so you still get the full range (left to right) pumped into the amp, even though it's going to convert to mono to drive the sub.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:04 PM

thanks for the response..... i actually dove into it yesterday and did exactly what you suggested, works like a charm. now i'm playing with the bose hidden eq to try and find the best sound while making the bose speakers last as long as possible.... i don't want a crazy setup like i had when i was a teenager, just good, full,sounding music, ya know?!

i also connected the power wire under the dash to the power distribution block thats there. i saw a tip to do that, and it is so much easier and cleaner.... i just wish i found that out before cutting a small hole in the ecu box to run the power wire that isn't going through there anymore....

Old 11-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator

No problem - glad it's working for you. I'm the same way and wanted nice clean, full-range sound, and I still ended up removing every stereo component that came in the car. I went all aftermarket with an eye toward sound quality rather than mortar-cracking thump. I'm running a single 10" sub on a 160W RMS amp, and amping all the other speakers off the headunit. Sounds excellent