Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Any way to hook up to GPS on old-style A4 nav?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:50 AM
Default Any way to hook up to GPS on old-style A4 nav?

Looking for an expert geek advice... I've got a 2003 A4 with an old-style navigation system (the kind without a dedicated map display). The system itself borders on useless, but a built-in GPS is a major asset IF I can hook it up to a laptop. I found a box in the trunk that says it's a "GPS amplifier"; it's got a custom plug on the top and nothing else. I imagine some of the wires from this plug go to the roof-mounted antenna and others to whatever processor that controls this abortion of a nav system.... but I have no idea which is which or WHERE the CPU really sits. There's a large box on the other side of the trunk that hosts the CD drive, it doesn't look like there's anything else in it despite its size, but I couldn't verify it easily. So, does anyone know if I can indeed find a serial GPS connection somewhere without taking apart too much of the car? It's still on the warranty so I'm naturally reluctant to tear into it the way I do it with my Tahoe

...Max...

Old 07-27-2005, 06:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Any way to hook up to GPS on old-style A4 nav?

max,
see my sig below for pix etc.....etc...

Why not upgrade to the RNS-E? see www.navplus.us (i've posted a lot of content of mine there...happy reading!)

The GPS antenna is connected behind the CD-drive in your B6 A4. It has a SMB connector type. You would need a custom cable to route the connector to your laptop etc.

Good luck!