Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Audi TT 8j fans don't turn on unless (see inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi TT 8j fans don't turn on unless (see inside)

Hi guys,

Ive researched this for weeks and can't find an answer for the mk2 TTs. They all seem to for the mk1s.

So I've noticed my fans dont turn on when my car is hot.

Ive done quite abit of diagnosing myself and also took it to a garage, to which they said both the fans are shot and need replacing. And said it would cost £600 for the main cooling fan and the aircon fan. Which i thought is very unlikely for them both to die at the same time...

However since then i have heard the smaller fan turn on full speed for about 10seconds. Maybe once every month I'll hear it come on for a second when it should. Never seen the big one spin at all.

I did abit of diagnosis myself and found that if i flick the aircon on auto mode when i start the car both fans spin on the low setting but when the car reaches operating temperature (80c ish) they both turn off and neither come back on. Initially i thought it would have been the fan control module thingy. But alot of people suggest the mk2 TT doesnt have one? So i was abit confused. As i have no idea where it is located on the audi TTS. So after that, ive considered that it is possibly the high speed resistor in the fan itself. As i hear the low speed one is prone to breaking? Is it even possible for the high speed one to break as i can't find much on it?

Am i best off replacing the fans as the resistor is built into it?

Any input into this is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hyper45; 08-12-2015 at 09:03 AM.