Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Battery terminal help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Battery terminal help needed

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to Audis as this car is my first one. It's a 92 100 CS that I have had for almost a week. I need to do some splicing, and connection cleaning on the main positive wire that hooks to the battery.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent quality brass battery terminal connector like this one? Also could someone inform me as to what gauge these wires are? I feel dumb for having to ask that, but I'm not 100% positive on the wire gauge.

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

If anyone else needs to know at some point the black one is 4 gauge and the red one is 8 gauge. Couldn't find an auto shop in town that sells decent battery connectors, so now I'm going to an audio/video car store that puts in car stereos to see what they have there.

Last edited by plasma; 02-04-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: put wrong wire size
Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

Last night I finished cutting out and replacing all the wire that was damaged. I also picked up a new connector at a local audio shop in town. I purchased a Stinger Pro connector to use because it's better quality than anything I could get from an auto shop. Plus I like the fact that the connector has a plexiglass top cover to add a little extra safety from the seat hitting the battery terminal. I plan on purchasing another connector with a plexiglass cover for the negative terminal too at some point in the near future.

I also needed to purchase a new battery for the car. I opted to go with a Napa Legend battery. Locally that was really my only option as everyone else would of had to order me a battery. The Napa battery is an OE exact fit so I shouldn't have to worry about anything touching the terminals.

What started all my problems was due to my lack of examining the battery/taking the back seat out when I went to look at this car before I bought it. If I would of seen how it looked under that back seat I doubt I would of purchased the car. The previous owner had a Motorcraft Gold series battery tucked under the seat, and it was way way to big. The terminals were hitting the metal on the springs/frame of the seat cushion. His cure was to stuff newspaper on the top of the battery to keep it from making contact. Alot of burn marks in that seat cushion because they opted to try and save a buck.

I'm lucky that this turned out to be a somewhat easy fix, and that the car never started on fire before I found this.