Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Bose Stereo Too Laudi

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Bose Stereo Too Laudi

I just wrote a very long-winded explanation and question that is sure to be boring and dull. I know that because I just read it. I left it just in case you're really bored. But heres my question in a nutshell:

How do I pull the Bose cassette/stereo out of a 94 Audi 100?

The Bose cassette/radio in my 94 Audi 100 will not turn down. The **** turns and it'll change the channel, but the volume is stuck on ten. It's not bad when you're rocking out to some old Slayer or early Rush, but it would be nice to be able to turn the volume down every once in a while.
Is this a common problem?
I was thinking of pulling the stereo and cleaning the contacts (or whatever) with contact cleaner/lubricant, but I can't figure out how to remove the darn thing.
It's got these four little holes on the face (two on the left, two on the right), that may have something to do with the first step of removal, but I'm not sure what lies beneath the little suckers. Do they allow access to some kind of little clippy things? If so, I can fabricate something to get in there, but once I'm in there, I don't know what I need to do to free up the radio. Do I push? Do I turn? Do I pry towards the radio? Away from the radio? If there is some kind of release, what do I need to do to execute cooperative manipulation?
And if I'm totally wrong, or if I can repair the volume control without pulling it, please let me know.

Thank you.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

Hey Handsome. Why don't you get a coat hanger (wire. Not plastic. Plastic ones don't really work too well for something like this), and cut a couple pieces out of it, bend them into a couple U shapes, and push them into those holes you were talking about. Go about 3/4 of an inch deep and, badda friggen bing. Radio be in your lap.
Now, if you take a look at that volume control, you'll see that you can access it through the bottom panel. Kinda pull up on one of the back corners to see up under there so you don't screw anything up when it unexpectedly pops off and lands on the floor.
Now you can see the volume control from the inside of the unit. If you get the kind of contact cleaner with the tuner lube, you don't have to worry about washing out any of the lubricant in there. Just put that little straw thing in the tip and get inside those little openings... Spray in little bursts, blow out any excess, wipe it down, slap the bottom back on there, and once again... Badda friggen bing. Good as new.

Hopefully that'll work for you. If not... You can always go eff yourself.