Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Bose system help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Bose system help

I'm looking to upgrade my headunit from the stock head unit to a Kenwood DDX 6019. I have been told that I need to get an amp bypass to use the stock speakers without changing the audi amp. I was wiondering if it is possable to leave the existing amp in the car and install the new head unit without to much dificulty. I went to Car Toys and talked to them and they quoted the install at about $600. I think I can do it myself and make it look just as good if not better. But there are some things i need to find out first before I start the install.

1. Where is the Bose amp?
2. Can I replace the Bose amp with my own to allow Ohm compalibility for the Bose speakers, or is this even reuired?
3. Does anyone have any install guides of their own? (if not I'll make one for others to use after the install is comple.)

Any information would be great.
Thanks,
Travis

Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Bose system help

OK, after vast research I think I found a solution that should be quick and effictive. I'll post what I did when it's complete.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 AM

cehoyjt,
Well, hows the stereo install going?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

The stereo is in and it looks and sounds great. (I really hate Car Toys. They make everything sound so much harder than it actually is so you feel overwhelmed and give up so they can charge you an arm and a leg to install it.) All you need is the Audi wire harness (20 bucks) that includes the Amp bypass (for the Bose system) and the keys to remove the factory radio (I’ve found a set online for anywhere between 14 to 40 bucks but, I just went to Ultimate Electronics and asked if they could do it and they did for free). It took me a total of 3 hours to install the after market radio and that includes the hour and a half it took me to find an install place that would let me barrow their keys to remove the factory radio. The Factory radio slid right out of the dash and my double din mount I bought fit right in to where the factory head came out. I Dremel-ed the plastic support out of the middle of the dual single din mounting bracket (I bought mine for 90 bucks on EBay andthe kit included theAmp Bypass for Bose systems and a regular wire harness for non Bose, two keys to remove the factory radio (two key short of what’s required), the antenna conversion wire,and the double din mounting bracket)and slid the aftermarket radio crate right into the dashconnected the wire harness to the Kenwood harness using crimping connections and snapped it onto the stock wire harness in the dash. I had some trouble finding the ignition wire so I just attached the red ignition wire from the radio to the yellow power wire so the radio will only turn on and off manually (I actually like it better that way because I don’t need to start the car to listen to the radio and I can leave it on if I need to leave the car with my keys while other people are in the car. It was a quick fix until I had time to run to Home Depot to find an amp meter so I could tell where the ignition wire is but after a week of having it set up that way I'm used to it and prefer it.). ThenI slid the aftermarket stereointo the crate and snapped it in and added the plastic borderthat came with the radio. Done Deal.

I'll take some pictures of what I did and post them soon. I still need to install the sub; I'm just having a hard time getting the power cable from the battery through the firewall. I was thinking about going through the computer box under the hood but I can't remove the lid because I can’t reach the rear screws to take it off. Anyone have any ideas as to where I can find a tool to remove those? Other than that I have had no problems and the install looks clean and professional.

I installeda Sirius radio receiver, I pod control modular, and the aftermarket head unit with ease. Next will be the Amp and sub after I do some more research.

I'll post full documentation once I get the sub in on how I did everything.

Keep me posted as to what you guys have run into and if you found any shortcuts.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

I'd love to see the pics of the install when you get around to it. I've been thinking of replacing my head unit, but wasn't sure about how an aftermarket would work in terms of the existing Bose setup.
Any significant difference in sound from the stock setup?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

The sound quallity is still great. You will not loose any sound quality when you switch head units as far as I can tell. If anything, I think it sounds alittle better (depending on the head unit of course). I'll try to take some pics this week to show what I've done so far.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

did you ever find out where the stock amp is?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

You have given me ideas... Quick question (I have a 2003 A4 for a reference point, with the Bose):

Did you happen to notice if there were any pre-amp outputs on the factory head unit? I want to add a Boston GT-24 (maybe 28) and some Boston Acoustics G512 subs, but I do NOT want to have to use the line level inputs (actually, the Boston amps don't come with them anyway...)

I have a feeling the 97 milliontweeters in the cabin will work fine to balance out the painful bass, so I dont want to swap anything on that side out yet. Also, I would be ordering some firewall bushings and drilling through the firewall to put my + and - (I know I can ground anywhere, but for sound quality's sake, especially if I end up getting stuck running the RCAs on the same side...), any ideas on where to drill?

Otherwise I am screwed and I will have to get a non-Boston amp.

Also, any reccomendations on Capacitors? I wonder if I could make my HIDs dim... I am looking at a 1.2F Tsunami, I had a B&W 1.5 in my truck a while back, that was good.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

So your new HU is not utilizing the Bose amp or subwoofer at all... the HU is just powering the 8 door speakers? Correct?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

I am using the Amp in the back to run the stock speakers. The amp bypass just allows you to use the RCA cables to connect the head unit to the stock wire harness. I am actually not sure if the sub is hitting. It sounds like it is but I'll double check for you (It could just be the door speakers that are suplying the bass.).Theplan is toinstall an aftermarket 1200w sub with a 400w dule channel amp onceI figure out how to get through the firewall, so if the stock sub is not hitting then the new sub will make up for the absance of the stock sub.

Quick Reply: Bose system help