Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Bose system help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Bose system help

Truth be told I don't remeber for sure, but I'm pretty sure there are not any though. Do you have your heart set on keeping the stock head unit?

About drilling through the firewall, I'm alittle iffy about that. I'm not sure thats a good idea. I don't feel comportable drilling holes that can't be undrilled. But then again I might have to resort to that if I cant go through the computer box. I did notice that there is a rubbergaskitdirctly behind the battery (that may be a way throught the firewall) but I am not sure if it goes all the way through to the dash. I haven't had a whole lot of time or money to research and mess around with this lately due to buying a house and moving. I'm hopeing I can finish this up by the end of the month though and post some pictures on what I've done. I still have the factory head unit around my house somewhere I'll check that out and let you know what i find.

Capacitors, I think are a great idea. I'm not really picky on a brand you get (just make sure you get at least .5 farad per 500w) it will be easier on your battery/alternater and help to keep your headlights from dimming when your bass hits.You will also notice that you'll get a crisper sound when the bass does hit.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cehoyjt

I am using the Amp in the back to run the stock speakers. The amp bypass just allows you to use the RCA cables to connect the head unit to the stock wire harness. I am actually not sure if the sub is hitting. It sounds like it is but I'll double check for you (It could just be the door speakers that are suplying the bass.).Theplan is toinstall an aftermarket 1200w sub with a 400w dule channel amp onceI figure out how to get through the firewall, so if the stock sub is not hitting then the new sub will make up for the absance of the stock sub.
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing this amp bypass was something supplied by Car Toys? I wonder if that's something Crutchfield could supply as well. My monster amp days are over, but I wouldn't mind updating the HU to something a bit more up to date. I would assume that the sub is hitting if the door speakers are... since they should all be feeding of the same input. (unless the pre-out for the sub is different..) Well if you could verify that would be great, but you've already been more than helpful. Cheers.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

You can find the RCA Amp Bypass online. I would never recomend someone to Car Toys.
Here is the site you can find it at.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1194

Old 03-07-2008, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Ok, so quick update. The total install is complete, sub and all. Not to difficult but it can be at times. Getting through the firewall is much easier that I expected. There are black rubber caps that look like nibbles in very cold weather on the firewall. I initially thought that these were used to cover bolts but in fact the nipple part of the rubber gasket pulls right out of the gasket and allows free access through the firewall. From there it is pretty easy but time consuming. You have to pull up the plastic molding on the floor up from the door jam. Then pull the carpet up over the plastic peaces that hold the carpet in place. Then just slide the power, RCA, and Amp power switch wire under the carpet then pull the carpet back over the plastic brackets that hold it in place, (Be careful when you are removing the plastic door jam because the little black clips that hold it firmly to the car can be a bitch to get out of the frame if they come off the plastic piece) do this all the way to the back seat then just run the wires up under the rear seat and into the trunk. Or you can run the wires up through the side over the wheel well and to the trunk. I ran the power cable down the right side of the car and the RCA cables down the left side. It looks clean and professional. The full guide with picks should be coming soon. Sorry for the delay but I just can't find the time to do the job I want on it. It will come eventually. Hope this helps a little in the mean time.