Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Both remote lock/unlock keys stopped working after steering rack was replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Both remote lock/unlock keys stopped working after steering rack was replaced

Hi all,

First posting, after a brief look I couldn't find this on the forum, sorry if there is any duplication.

So our 2003 A4 Avant Quattro 3.0 needed a new steering rack because of leaks (and after only 38000 miles!). The new rack works perfectly, it drives like a charm. But immediately after the repair, BOTH keys lost their remote lock/unlock/open trunk function -- now they work only to start the car and unlock the doors manually. The mechanic says he doesn't know what happened. So my questions are:

1. What caused this?
2. How to fix it?

We have followed the brief code-reset instruction in the owner's manual (lock doors from inside car, then press lock on the key fob) but that didn't work.

Any answers would be MOST welcome.

Many thanks.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Any fix?

Originally Posted by NorthPotomac
Hi all,

First posting, after a brief look I couldn't find this on the forum, sorry if there is any duplication.

So our 2003 A4 Avant Quattro 3.0 needed a new steering rack because of leaks (and after only 38000 miles!). The new rack works perfectly, it drives like a charm. But immediately after the repair, BOTH keys lost their remote lock/unlock/open trunk function -- now they work only to start the car and unlock the doors manually. The mechanic says he doesn't know what happened. So my questions are:

1. What caused this?
2. How to fix it?

We have followed the brief code-reset instruction in the owner's manual (lock doors from inside car, then press lock on the key fob) but that didn't work.

Any answers would be MOST welcome.

Many thanks.

did you ever find a fix to this issue? I just cleaned my engine bay and both keys no longer work. I drive a 2007 a4