Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Call Bluetooth Volume Too Loud

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM
PRC
1st Gear
Default Call Bluetooth Volume Too Loud

Hello,

I have seen lots of posts about adjusting the "bong" volume when the phone connects to the Audi bluetooth module, but I have not seen anything close to my problem.

Since I upgraded to an RNS-E, the call volume in my car is outrageously loud. The connection / disconnection "bongs" are an appropriate volume, as is the nice lady's voice when I am giving commands. However, when the call connects, it is at max volume. Same thing for incoming calls.

If I am fast enough to turn the volume down after the phone connects the call and before the ringing starts, I'm all good. This lowered call volume setting will stay in place until I turn the car off (helpful for multi-call trips). However, when I turn off the ignition and start again, I'm back to square one.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I did not have this problem with my Symphony II head unit.

FYI - my setup is an iPhone 4 (OS 4.3.2).

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

I have the SAME problem and it is extremely annoying and probably terrible for my speakers...help? I can't believe this would be an ignored issue...

Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
PRC
1st Gear

I agree - I can't believe that this has not been addressed. Yes, it is bad for speakers, and I think that my rear tweeters are already damaged.

If anybody has found a fix, we would love to hear it.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:35 AM
1st Gear

Yep, i've already blown aspeaker

Has anyone figured out a way round this yet?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

So far the dealer has no idea why this is happening, and their service department keeps saying "This is how it is supposed to be, so the user can turn it down to their level" I that volume is too loud for anyone so please try again.

Then I've heard its an incompatibility issue between the bluetooth version in the car and the bluetooth version on the iPhone. This makes more sense, seeing that the car came out 4 years before this iPhone?? AND to top that off, other phones work perfectly, I've tried a blackberry curve, HTC Desire and those both work perfectly with incoming and outgoing calls? iPhone 5 launches in septemberish?? maybe the issue will be resolved there?

See if the dealer could swap out the bluetooth module to an updated one as i tried this in an A6 they had on the lot and the Audi # came up differently on my bluetooth and that seemed to work fine too?

I just bought this car 2 weeks ago, so not real happy that I'm having to fight this much to get this issue resolved, right now I have a feeling they will come back and offer me credit back to purchase a different car...?

Good luck everyone and I will post if something changes or gets resolved!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM
PRC
1st Gear

Thanks for the update. Are you saying that you tried the BT connection in an A6, and it worked without a problem? You may be right that the iPhone 4's BT stack is the issue as my old 3G worked flawlessly.

Is there any way to update the software on our BT modules? I remember reading a post a few months ago that said "no," but the poster may have been mistaken.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

Correct it worked without an issue in the A6. I believe it was an 06 as well but could have been an 08.

Right now, the dealer is contacting their tech line? to find out if there a resolution and more to at least determine that Audi is aware of this issue and what they have to say about it. I'll be sure to let you know.

My guess on the update is no, (But they are looking into that as well, i emailed them a picture of the "Car Version" screen on my navi) however, why wouldn't we be able to actually replace the bluetooth module and put in a newer one, i can't believe they wouldnt be compatible, from car to car??

Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 AM
1st Gear

I took my car in last week and the engineer did some testing and suggested it may be an incompatability between the older bluetooth module and the RNS-E unit. However just as i was leaving he ran out and grabbed my and asked me to test the phone in a S3 with and RNS-E unit, and i had the same problem. He then thought it could only be the RNS-E unit or the iOS 4.3.3. I'll keep you posted as i learn more. iOS 4.3.4 just came out and i have iOS5 on my dev iphone, i'll try those when i get back.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
PRC
1st Gear

I have thought about the BT / RSN-E compatability, but as both of mine are 2006 models, that's not the problem in my car. I look forward to hearing about the new iPhone software...

Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM
PRC
1st Gear

It's safe to say that iOS5 has had no influence on the BT volume in my car; after software upgrade, the default BT volume is still WAY too loud.

Quick Reply: Call Bluetooth Volume Too Loud