Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Day Time Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Day Time Running Lights

Hi Guys;
I've just purchased a US model '01 A6 2.7T that I've imported to Canada and am now required by law to set it up so that the daytime running lights (DRL) automatically come on whenever the car is running. I've ben able to find a discussion thread here on wiring the fog lights to be on without the low beams being on BUT that arrangement still required the headlight switch to be rotated to the first 'parking light on' position, which does not satisfy the gov't requirement.
Does anybody know an efficient (and simple) way to make the fog lights come on automatically when the car is started, without having to move the light switch at all? I have Xenons installed as well but I don't think that shud change anything, I just don't want to turn THEM on every time I start up.
Thanxs for your help...........Bill

Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Day Time Running Lights

I have the same problem with my 01 Audi TT.

Thank you very much in advance for any info or help.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 PM
4th Gear

That's really odd because my car dont have daytime running lights and i've never been told that i need them. I bought the car a year ago from MI and it was originally bought in FL.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 AM
1st Gear

To 'oneluckymo';
this forum wasn't much help to me so I'm being forced to take my A6 into Canadian Tire next week and pay them to wire in a module, and do the certification check as well. Good luck with your TT.
To 'new2me';
I can't imagine how you passed the federal inspection w/o having DRL's, that is one of the requirements needed in order to get the certification required to be able to insure your car. Lucky you I guess. Are you in a province that has private insurance (unlike me in B.C.) and that perhaps they didn't know what was required before they insured you? That kind of oversight never seems to happen to me.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 PM
4th Gear

Sorry i miss read your post i took it as you imported it from Canada to USA not the other way around. My apologies.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

I have an idea, but do not try it until you know it really works. it is to cut the fog light"+" wire at the back of your headlight switch, and hook it up to your raido ignition wire (I think is the yellow one). or anything that will turn onafter your car is starded. but as I said, do not try it unless you know it is gonna work.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 AM
2nd Gear

yea pretty much, what padylam said, you could easily do it if you knew wiring well. Just run a piggyback wire from the lights you want for daytime runners and have them ran to the radio turn on wire or something liek that...