General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Day Time Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Day Time Running Lights

Hi Guys;
I've just purchased a US model '01 A6 2.7T that I've imported to Canada and am now required by law to set it up so that the daytime running lights (DRL) automatically come on whenever the car is running. I've ben able to find a discussion thread on wiring the fog lights to be on without the low beams being on BUT that arrangement still required the headlight switch to be rotated to the first 'parking light on' position, which does not satisfy the gov't requirement.
Does anybody know an efficient (and simple) way to make the fog lights come on automatically when the car is started, without having to move the light switch at all? I have Xenons installed as well but I don't think that shud change anything, I just don't want to turn THEM on every time I start up.
Thanxs for your help...........Bill

Old 12-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Default RE: Day Time Running Lights

I am not sure of an easy way to do this since these cars are set up to only have the fog lights able to be turned on when the low beam headlights are on.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Senior Administrator

There SHOULD be a way to do it with a VAG-COM. I'd explore THAT angle, if it was me...

Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

I agree, there shud be a way, short of a substantial re-wiring.
I believe your suggestion of re-setting the VAG-COM is the 'proper way' for the more recent newer models that have and are controlled by that method, but I fear that method cannot be applied to the older 2001's, but I'll check.
Anyone else have an idea? Can't we somehow 'jump' the fog lights in or near the fuse box so that they come on whenever the ignition switch is on?, irregardless of the headlite switch position (ie: in the OFF pos'n)? Just like we use to do in the good old days when we wired in our old 8-tracks!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:25 PM

I checked the relays and fuses and there are none for that function so I would assume it has to be done via VAG, if you cant do it with VAG it would be simple enough to wire the low beams to a switched live like the ignition switch

Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 AM
1st Gear

Thanxs for your responses.

I'm told VAG will not work on a '01 A6, so my options appear to be either take it to a dealer and open my wallet or find a simpler way like avant80 suggested. I also would like to think a simple low beam or fog light connection to a live or 'hot' ignition wire would suffice, but am concerned it would disrupt some other electrical system or OBD. I surely don't want to disturb the electrical gremlins and inadvertently cause some 'transient electrical anomaly'. Nobody that I can find has any specific instructions to remedy this, just theory. Do you have any tech info on how this could specifically be done without screwing anything else up? Or has anybody else actually done this? Even if I could do a temporary 'jump' to pass the inspection, and then undo it later, would work for me.

Thanxs..........Bill