Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Digital Dashboard gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Default Digital Dashboard gone bad

Help! I have a 2000 A4 and the digital dashboard just went black! It has been worsening for the past year, with lines and inconsistancies in the words but now you can barely see the bottom part to see which gear I am in.

One mechanic told me this can not be fixed, that these digital things "just go sometimes", and I am going to the dealer tommorrow. Was hoping someone could help me with what I should expect to hear.

Has this happened to anyone else????? []

Can it be fixed???

And for less than 4 million dollars?

Old 08-13-2004, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Digital Dashboard gone bad

Welcome to the forums. Hope you find it entertaining and informative. As for the displays, yes, they do go bad. Mine is on the way out too. I've got a 2000 1.8t Avant. The dealer can replace it, but will likely charge you close to the 4 million dollars. You could try ebay for a used one, it would be much less expensive than buying one through the dealer. Keep an eye on this thread, I'm going to look around for some options here and when I get some info, I'll post it.

Old 08-13-2004, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

Suggestions....

- try the reset button
- possible loose cable
- may have to replace the instrument cluster if all else fails.

I'm sure the cost will be less than $4 mil though.

Old 08-13-2004, 01:32 AM

Doose, I am a doofus, and replied from my hotmail account to your message so you may not get it.. or you may... anyway... thank you so much for responding, I am just excited that the problem can be fixed! I was about to nix the car over that... i want it to be pretty

Do you know what the part is called that I need to replace to fix the problem so I can get cracking?

Again, thanks for the response...

Old 08-13-2004, 01:35 AM

reset button? where is that?

Old 08-13-2004, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the forum joutlaw!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE! link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:27 PM

I have a 2000 a4 with the same issue. Is there any new information on this problem. Where would the reset button be or should I be looking at a whole new digital display? Any more help would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 AM

The problem could be from soldering that going bad, try this way:

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...t.html#contact

Good Luck.
UseMan