Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

ebay, Aux input, USB/SD MP3 Player opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:06 PM
1st Gear
Default ebay, Aux input, USB/SD MP3 Player opinions

Hey,
I'm sick of not having a proper AUX in, in my 01 A6. Using the tape deck the sound quality is ok, but, the tape deck is starting to make wierd noises. Don't need full ipod integration, just a functioning Aux in so I can switch between my sat radio and ipod shuffle. Has anyone tried one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MP3-Player-USB-S...d=p3286.c0.m14
I'm thinking of trying one, read a bunch of feed back, some directly related to this item for Audi/VW, and it's all positive...

Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 AM
1st Gear
Default I ordered one...

Tired of my ghetto tape deck line in, it's starting flipping sides ramdomly now... So, I ordered one of the xcarlink USB/MP3 Players line in things. Once I recieve it, and install it, I'll write up a little review and post it here.
Regards,
Gary

Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Finally got it!

Well, I finally got around to installing the mp3/line in player ordered in the e-bay link above.
The Good:
Easy install with supplied wire harness.
Easily stored in the glove box.
SD card slot will read sd card with up to 6 folders that display and work as cd 1 thru 6 and apparently up to 99 files per folder, i didn't try that many.
Aux in will take my ipod headphone out, or my sat radio.
Sound is as good as the MP3's you have, overall much better than the cassette tape adapter I was using.
The Bad:
Not much.
Only came with 2 radio removal tools, you'll need four for the double din in the Audi.
I get some feedback/noise when using the Sirius sat receiver, which is powered from one of the cigarette ligher outlets. I had this problem with the Sirius receiver when installed in the wifes Camry too, and it was input through the factory aux in. I think it's more a problem with the Sirius receiver not being grounded well through the power socket, than with the xcarlink.
You'll need a female/female adapter to use a longer audio cable, the supplied one is USB/male stereo plug, and it's short.

Overall, seems to be a quality unit that works as advertised. YMMV.

Gary

Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
4th Gear

not bad sir can u post a link to where u purchased it price pics maybe. Also pics on ur installation. I might considering doing this as i get feedback from my tapedeck to mp3 player that drives me insane.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Link is in the first msg. If it doesn't work, search "MP3 Player USB/SD/AUX for AUDI-A2,A3,S3,A4,S4,A6,A8,TT" in e-bay, seller was eonian_smile. You have to tell him which stereo you have so he can supply the correct wire harness, it's as easy as unplugging the factory connecter, and plugging in the new one between the two. I routed the wires up under the passenger side dash into the space behind the head unit, it took a little fiddling to get them up there, but it worked. I then attached the ground wire to the existing ground on the back of the factory unit. Pictures would show nothing but the unit sitting in my glove box :-) Only problem I have is coming up with 594 songs that I want to put on an SD card, lol. I will take a pic and put it up, give me a few days though, I'm heading out of town for work, like, now.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 AM

So, I'm thinking of putting this in my 2000 Audi TT. Replace my FM Transmitter for my iPod. Does it replace the multi CD changer? Easy to install?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

It does come with a pass through cable that is supposed to retain the function of the CD changer, but, not having a cd changer, I wouldn't know if it works. Everything else works as advertised, so I would guess it does. Install was easy in the A6, literally plug and play once you get the radio out. One question, why would you want the original cd changer, when you could fit 6 virtual disks, each with 99 songs, on a SD card?
Gary

Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yea, that is true - guess I'm just greedy wanting both. .
I also found this one that works for the iPod (charges iPod while plugged in) and has an AUX headphone jack. But doesn't have the USB or SD. Replaces the external CD changer, but allows track control with the radio for the iPod. Think it also has a Bluetooth adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018D13JK

Old 11-05-2009, 05:59 PM

Not sure if this is going to be right...i am a "no tech" computer person!!! i love animals and have had them all my life as friends...have 1 grouchy old cat whom i love dearly and 2 pit bulls whom i also love dearly....my buddies....