Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Electronics/Wiring Guru's...NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Electronics/Wiring Guru's...NEED ADVICE

So I just got done installing my HID kit and when using relay harness that came with the kit, the directions asked me to make a connection to only ONE headlight bulb harness, therefore the other one is left alone.

So the HID's work great, but now what's happening is the computer is saying that one of my bulbs is out, it beeps inside the car, where I need to figure out how to trick a computer or make some kind of connection loop on the other harness to trick the computer and make it believe that there's an actually a functioning bulb, so the computer can stop tripping?

Does anyone know how I would do this? I'm thinking some resistor or fuse could be plugged into the other harnes to make it seems like it's an actual bulb?

Please help?

Old 11-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Electronics/Wiring Guru's...NEED ADVICE

I would do exactly that. Use a handheld meter and measure the resistance of one of the standard headlight bulbs, then go to Radio Shack or an electronics shop and get a resistor of that (or close) impedance, and you can probably just plug it in across the terminals of the harness. That will most likely solve your problem.

Glad this was brought up, as my HIDs arrive today and I'll likely run into the same issue on my car - I've only been an Audi owner for two weeks, and didn't even think of this - thanks

Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Anyone elses thoughts? I'm sure someone had to do this before

Thx

Old 11-21-2006, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Is it not possible just to leave the bulb plugged up and put protection around it? I will be having the same problem...I just ordered a kit.

I also didnt think of this problem at all.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:48 AM
1st Gear

After doing some research, few other cars had similar problems like BMW's and Volvo's but they found a solution with a resistor but there was more to it. I just picked up a resistor from radio shack tonight and I'm going to try it tommorow.

I'll let u guys know if it works.
Thx

p.s. I think you can leave the bulb plugged in but it will shine underneath the hood. I'm also thinking of painting the bulb black with some heat resistant paint? Let's be creative haha

Old 11-29-2006, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Well my resistor math didn't work,i think i need bigger resistor, so for now I'm stuck...

Can someone else try to figure this out? Thx

Old 12-01-2006, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

Finally, all systems checked OK, no more bulb out error....I used 2.2 ohm resistor in between and woks fine. I did connect it directly though, i didn't use the relay harness because then you hook it up to only one healight harness, if you go directly then both sides have their own hook ups, and that's where you would use the resistors.

PM me if you need more info...

thx