Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

how to install gps for my mmi

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:30 PM
1st Gear
Question how to install gps for my mmi

hi guys, i'm new here. i had a question regarding the installation of the factory gps. does anyone know how to do it? are the wires all set within the car? i purchased the player and disc. is it just plug and play? any information would be helpful. thanks in advance guys!

kim

Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

If you have a new Q7 (taken from your sig) then its as simple as inserting your NAV Disc into the DVD drive, probably located in the rear hatch area of the vehicle. Your manual will tell you where it is. If you are installing the DVD NAV drive for the first time, yourself, then look in your manual to find out where it supposed to go. It should just bolt in and connect with the factory wires, but I am a little confused as to why a new Q7 wouldn't have a DVD NAV drive to begin with??? Was yours stolen? I will assume that so you can follow these instructions: Connect color coded and keyed connections to the DVD NAV drive. If these have been damaged (as in yanked out then you need to find a local Audi Tech). Once the hardware is installed go to step two:

Start up the engine, Turn off your cell phone if you're hooked up to Bluetooth on the vehicle, then press the eject button on the DVD NAV drive (just to make sure there's nothing in it already) and insert your NAV Disc. The software will do the rest. It should load and count off in % then reboot and you should have a working GPS.

I hope this helps. If you need a 2011 updated disc I know where to get one.

Last edited by A8 LOOONG; 10-06-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

the car isn't stolen, it just came that way. not all audi's come with the dvd navigation. i think if it's not an a8, it's an option. at any rate, thanks for your help and i'll see if i can do it and report back here. =)

Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

I apologize. I meant was the GPS system stolen out of your Q7?

**UPDATE**

I just found out that you can order Q's w/out MMI OR NAV and so you will not have the wiring I thought you had in there form Audi. If you have MMI already, you will not have the antenna or any of the copper or fiber optic cables that run through the car to where the NAV DVD drive goes. It's a big job. I suggest you make friends with an Audi Tech.

Good Luck!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

thank you for that info. yea, i took a look in my car and saw no wires as i was expecting. just a space where the dvd drive goes. *sigh* i do actually know a audi tech but he seems busy all the time and not really wanting to take on this chore. thanks for the info anyway. at least i know that i can't do it.