Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Music cuts out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
scj
1st Gear
Default Music cuts out?

A4 Quattro 3.0 automatic with BOSE stereo originally. 6 disk changer would not work so I had an aftermarket head unit installed with interface and I-pod cable. Worked great for about a year and now you never know when it'll play.
I had the shop change out the head unit so we eliminated that as the issue but now it seems like it's the amp?

When it does play, sometimes half (right or left) the side speakers play then they all play, then it just shuts off. I stuck a CD in and the player maintains a progressive count on the songs so everything is still getting power.

I took the amp out and scoured eBay but could not find a single Audi amp that had the exact model # as the one I have. Mine ends with 223 and all the ones I looked at ended with 225.

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
4th Gear

im kinda lost so bear with me. Your aftermarket headunit in your car is hooked up to your stock speakers. Sometimes they cut out or the just dont play at all sometimes? Cuz the wires running through the doors tend to stretch and causin the speakers to cut out. But if they dont play at all at the same time i say the wires running to your headunit might be the culprit. But feel free to clear things up so we can get a better idea of what your problem is.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
scj
1st Gear

Yes, the aftermarket head unit is hooked to the stock amp and speakers. Supposedly through some sort of interface cable/connector.

The aftermarket head unit never loses power; when the speakers cut out, the CD playing in the head unit keeps counting and the tracks keep playing the same as if you were hearing them. You just cannot hear anything.

You can have the stereo on while you are driving for several hours and it'll only play for 2 to 3 minutes at a time 5 or 6 times the entire trip.
When the music does comes on, most of the time it sounds perfect but then other times, it is like some of the music is playing through just a few of the speakers for a second or two then they all play normally for two to three minutes.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like whatever shop put it in did a real shoddy job of it. The wire you were speaking of is called a wiring harness adapter. Connects the new aftermarket radio to the old radio connections still attached to the car. Thing is, the adapter and the head-unit wiring have to be connected together. If something is loose or connected wrongly, it could cause the problems you're having. I'd take it back and have them look at it.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
scj
1st Gear

No, the shop did a fine job with the installation. I'm looking for known issues such as the door wires stretching (thanks pa4ul) or other issues.

The shop said any speaker in the system that has an issue causes the amp to kick out the power.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
4th Gear

i would suggest you just wire up a new amp to power your speakers. Maybe even get a 4 channel and throw a sub in the rear also. I know over time the bose can crap out if it gets pushed alot.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:59 PM
scj
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
i would suggest you just wire up a new amp to power your speakers. Maybe even get a 4 channel and throw a sub in the rear also. I know over time the bose can crap out if it gets pushed alot.
This is what I ended up doing.

The shop removed the BOSE amp & stock sub and went with a ARC 4 channel amp and a 12" sub. He has the front speakers running off 2 channels of the new amp and the other two channels powering the sub but he powered the rear speakers directly off the head unit. I don't know what he used to power the tweeters in the doors but it's really incredible how everything sounds once he finished.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
4th Gear

glad to know i could help!