Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Need help with choosing an amp and box

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Default Need help with choosing an amp and box

Well I just bought an Alpine SWR-1041D 10" sub and want to know what i need to look for when choosing an amp? I also want to make the box myself, I have done this before so i got the hang of it. I just want to know if i could get some more advanced people's opinion on a sealed or ported box for this sub? I am putting it in my TT and think it will pound in that tight space, but i want to make sure it is right.
thanks !

Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 PM

Can i get a 2 or 4 channel amp or does it have to be a 1channel amp? If i get a 2 channel amp will i get the total amps ?
Also this sub has the dual connection thing on the sub (sorry i dont know what its called ).. so does that mean i need a 2channel ?
Also what is the minimum watts i need and does it need to be bridgeable ?

Last edited by ooTToo; 08-13-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Alright i got the amp today (and now hear that it might not be ok to use for my sub.. any help there would be appreciated to make sure im good)

But here is the pic of them in the trunk. I want to make a box and wanted some help picking out how to do it. I dont know how to fiberglass or anything like that. I can do MDF board and carpet whatever it is.
I want the sub to face at an angle and not straight up or straight out.
The specs are below, im not sure if ported or sealed out be best.. any ideas or a design would be awesome!

sealed box volume: 0.5-0.8 cubic feet
ported box volume: 0.6-1.25 cubic feet

Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 PM

I found a picture of a box I want to make .. its the 2nd picture, can anyone help me get the lengths of each side if i use 3/4" MDF board to stay in the parameters of the sub listed above. I would rather have it bigger than smaller like the picture below the first.

Second Pic.. I want it like this, except one hole of course... can it happen?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:30 PM

Heres whats the difference between a sealed and ported box...a sealed box will make the bass alot more crisp and tight...the ported box will make the bass alot louder but not sound as good...so its all your preference of what you like. I would prefer the sealed because I like the quality sound. The box you chose is good but make sure you make it with the subs specs otherwise it might sound like $hit, not sure about the amp because I don't know what model it is. If its a mono or 2 channel you'll be fine but go to Crutchfield.com and look at the wiring diagrams so that you wire it right.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM

As for which way the sub should face is you'll just have to test out which way sounds the best, it took me a while to find out which way was the best in my 98 a4. Post pics of your install when your done. Good luck

Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 PM

I think i am going to go with the sealed box, i remember making the ported box for my old Solo Baric L7, took two times to get it sounded perfect.
The amp is a Sony Xplode 2channel 760watt..
I was going to get someone to install it for me.. would you happen to know about the hi/lo tapping into the rear wires, will it effect those speakers at all ?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 PM

Its pretty easy to install...it took me a couple of hrs to install my subs, amp, and cap. But with the amp if its capatable I would buy a wired remote bass control so that you can tune the amp and adjust it from the drivers seat...its less of a hassle if you have one. with your converter how many wires does it have on the input side...if you have a pic that would be even better then I could explain which wires go where.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Also wanted a little something extra for the cover of the box.. anyone have any ideas for something to add a little red in there. Im not sure but is there any kind of different stitch pattern material that you can use to cover a box? Any kind of fabric at a specialty shop or any other ideas ?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Well i went today to Lowes and actually found some carpet that look identical to the carpet in my TT, but i wanted some help on what glue to use when putting it on the box ?

Also if anyone still had any ideas of how to add a little red onto the box so it doesn't look too boring ?

Quick Reply: Need help with choosing an amp and box