Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

New Key Housing (Swap out Key) ADVISE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM
1st Gear
Default New Key Housing (Swap out Key) ADVISE NEEDED

So, I bought a new uncut key housing with blank on ebay. I called the Audi dealer to see what it would cost to cut it for me. The one that came with my car has been dropped and its all taped together. Looks real nice
Looks like a buck twenty to cut and program.

Turns out, its more than just cutting the key to fit the car. They told me it needed to be programed because my car is outfitted with an "Immobilizer".
That is done using a computer of some sort and hooking up with Audi central in Germany.

So on to my question. I took apart the new key blank and it appears that with out much effort I could put the guts AND the old CUT key INTO the new housing.

Is there something I am missing? maybe not seeing? A hidden chip some where in the cushions?

My #1 fear is that I wont be able to get the new key to work and when I reassemble the old key the wizard of Audi Oz will make it unusable.

Any advise out there?

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:31 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

The immobilizer "chip" part of the key is in the part of the fob nearest the "blade" end. It is not in the circuit board part that is in the button half of the fob. I have never had the cojones to "experiment" with mine (only one) to check it out but is my understanding that there is no way to remove the immobilizer chip without damaging it.

You can program an immobilizer chip with a VAG-com if you know the engine code, dealer code and some other number (its 999 in NA I think). The dealer code can be "borrowed" from any Audi window sticker at a dealership. Its the engine code that requires an email to the "head office" with the VIN.

let us know how it works out