Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

problems with stereo...go with aftermarket? and how?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Default problems with stereo...go with aftermarket? and how?

As you probably know, Audi stereos are wired in an entirely different fashion than most. I honestly have no idea what im dealing with. My car is a 1995 Audi 90 with the Audi Gamma CC (cassette) stereo. It behaves oddly. Most of the time only the drivers side speakers work, and even when the passenger side speakers do work, it sounds as though the audio is not coming through in stereo...like the speaker are only recieving the signal for one side. Any thoughts?
Also, Ive considered putting in an aftermarket cd player. I have a JVC head unit I could put in, but Im not sure how to hook up the rear speakers. They are externally amplified, and are connected to the Audi stereo via a "line out" for each rear side. Would I connect this line-out to the RCA cables on my JVC unit?
I am very confused by the wiring in this car.
Hopefully someone here can give me some advice at least on how to get the signal to come through my factory system in Stereo and not mono...I can live without the cd player, but not with only hearing half of a song!!
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

First off have you tried fading the song to one side then the other? If your only getting as if its fading it could be a number of things the stock speaker wires brittle and started grounding. The amp itself could be going. The deck itself going. With out knowing for sure changing the deck may not help the problem but would take the deck out of the equation. If your going to change the deck yes you can use the rca outs. Your also going to want a ground loop isolator since our cars use a common ground.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

I have the same issue. The passenger speakers work, just going into Mono mode for both speakers most of the time and then coming back into Stereo sometimes.

I'll have to remove the head unit to inspect later.