Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Question about the factory fin antenna on '07 A4.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Question about the factory fin antenna on '07 A4.

I just purchased my A4. It's a used '07 with the Audi Symphony radio.

For the past 10 years I've been an XM subscriber, and even though they're now 1 company, I have no interest in swapping to Sirius. Also, my car didn't come with the Sirius kit installed in it. When you click on the Sat button, it says something akin to "No Sat Found".

I know that the Sirius antenna is already run through the car, as it wouldn't be cost effective to add that as an option with the Sirius package, but I was wondering if it's possible to connect that antenna into a Pioneer XM system? I would hate to have 2 antennas on the top of the car, even if the XM one is just the Delphi micro type.

Please let me know.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Xarpolis
I just purchased my A4. It's a used '07 with the Audi Symphony radio.

For the past 10 years I've been an XM subscriber, and even though they're now 1 company, I have no interest in swapping to Sirius. Also, my car didn't come with the Sirius kit installed in it. When you click on the Sat button, it says something akin to "No Sat Found".

I know that the Sirius antenna is already run through the car, as it wouldn't be cost effective to add that as an option with the Sirius package, but I was wondering if it's possible to connect that antenna into a Pioneer XM system? I would hate to have 2 antennas on the top of the car, even if the XM one is just the Delphi micro type.

Please let me know.
Here is what I recall from when I got my 06 A4...also Symphony equipped...

The car is Sattelite ready for either (back then) provider, but in order for the cluster display (and possibly the steering wheel buttons, idk) to function properly, you had to install a proprietary Audi sattelite receiver.

So I am assuming that a sattelite antenna is a satellite antenna is a sattelite antenna...it's the receiver that is going to determine which service...I suppose if you could find the connector, and they haven't made that intentionally proprietary, then you could hook it up.

Sorry I don't have more specific info.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

Should be easy to do - was on my B6. There were several options in my case, all based on the fact that XM uses SMB cables and connectors for the antenna. It's actually a very small diameter coax cable (often mistaken for an ordinary copper wire). What confuses people are the Fakra connectors, which are nothing more than color-coded plastic housings around the SMB connectors that only lock together with their male/female same color counterpart. Change the Fakra or get it out of the way and you're set.

The easiest approach is to use an adaptor cable like this one for $12.99, which is simply a short SMB cable without Fakras:

http://www.myradiostore.com/antennas...us/roanad.html

Just plug one end into the factory antenna connector, and the other into the XM receiver. If you prefer, you can just remove the Fakra connector from the factory connector and plug in the (now) bare SMB end into the receiver. For full style points, replace the factory Fakra for the correct color coded one the receiver expects (the Pink Fakra in the case of my Pioneer receiver).