Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Rear speakers, no sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear speakers, no sound

I just purchased an '04 A6 3.0 Quattro this past weekend and found out the rear speakers do not work. The sound system is the non-Bose system and I was wondering if an external amp is part of the OEM system or not? If not, then I could simply replace the OEM head unit and that should take care of my problem unless there's an issue with the wire harness or the speakers themselves. Chances that both speakers blew are slim, but I'm not ruling it out.

Does anyone know what the impedence is on the factory speakers???

Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 PM

replacing the head unit is definitely not something you want to do without knowing exactly what the problem is as it will be pretty expensive. the stock system w/o bose does not have an amp other than the preamp in the head unit. if the speakers were blown, you would still be able to hear out of them, but they would sound terrible. honestly, i have no idea what the problem is, i find it hard to believe that it could be a wiring issue as that sort of problem would only occur if the car was in a wreck, infested by mice, or tampered with by the owner.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbofarts
replacing the head unit is definitely not something you want to do without knowing exactly what the problem is as it will be pretty expensive. the stock system w/o bose does not have an amp other than the preamp in the head unit. if the speakers were blown, you would still be able to hear out of them, but they would sound terrible. honestly, i have no idea what the problem is, i find it hard to believe that it could be a wiring issue as that sort of problem would only occur if the car was in a wreck, infested by mice, or tampered with by the owner.
Turbofarts...thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing if the speakers were blown, I should still be able to hear something out of them and I get nothing at all. That is why my first thought was blown rear channel on the head unit. Replacing it won't be as costly as you think. I do car audio as a side gig, but I've never dealt with an Audi before so I just had some questions before I dug into it.

I can get the dash kit for about $40 so I can put a double din unit it and I know I'll have to get an antenna adapter to convert it from the German style to U.S. style (no problem with that either). I've already got the radio as it was one I had in a previous vehicle before.

Again, thanks for the feedback, it's is GREATLY appreciated.

Mike