Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Sound from speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
1st Gear
Default No Sound from speakers??

This might be a long post so I apoligze and bear with me because I am in desperate need of some help!!
Basics:
1995 A6 Sedan
What I am attempting to do (and did) install an aftermarket head unit (Kenwood Model# mp335)
Wiring Harness's Used:
Metra 70-1784
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/70-1784/metra/p70093.html

A second harness ( I can find the model number) it is an Audi/VW amp bypass harness which has the speaker wires corresponding as such and a black ground wire.

Antenna adapter

My issue:
I spoke with a guy at a local car audio shop who sold me the the harness's and he knew and was familiar with what I was trying to do he said the wiring harness's will do everything I need to do. So he walked me through how to wiring everything:
I said the 70-1784 has the speaker wires and the Red, Yellow, Black to power the headunit. The Red, Yellow, and Black will be the only ones used, everything else will be taped off and not used.
The second harness has one wire for each speaker and a black (ground) wire. So I wired the Positive (+) speaker wires from the Kenwood unit to the corresponding wiring on harness and left the black ground wire alone and did not wire that to anything. My headunit gets power but I have nothing coming out of the speakers, the Antenna adapter is conected properly and the headunit settings are setup correct, I get nothing out of the speakers to snap, crackle, pop or sound for that matter. I tried grounding the black wire to the car, and to a negative speaker wire, neither of these worked. The second harness also has a wire for amp power that needs to be installed to the actual harness which i did and connects to a corresponding wire on the Kenwood harness, still nothing.

If anyone can provide some help with this it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: No Sound from speakers??

I think I was able to keep up with what you were describing. It sounds to me like you used the 1st harness to power your new hd and the second to bypass the factory amp and power your speakers. The 1st harness (the one your only using the power for) needs to output the speaker signal to something. Originally it would have sent the signal to the factory amp. Now its going nowhere...right? I am by no means and car audio install expert, I have installed a few new systems back in high school.

What do you mean by "I wired the Positive (+) speaker wires from the Kenwood unit to the corresponding wiring on harness and left the black ground wire alone and did not wire that to anything"

Does that mean you wired the + speaker wires from harness #1 to the + inputs on harness #2 (bypass harness) and then did not connect the - wires to anything? If this is the case you need to connect all the - harness #1 wires to all the - harness #2 wires.

Someone else please veryify that I am making sense.

Most aftermarket headunits have a fuse, so if you make a mistake, it will just blow the fuse.

Jeff

Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeffla

I think I was able to keep up with what you were describing. It sounds to me like you used the 1st harness to power your new hd and the second to bypass the factory amp and power your speakers. The 1st harness (the one your only using the power for) needs to output the speaker signal to something. Originally it would have sent the signal to the factory amp. Now its going nowhere...right? I am by no means and car audio install expert, I have installed a few new systems back in high school.

What do you mean by "I wired the Positive (+) speaker wires from the Kenwood unit to the corresponding wiring on harness and left the black ground wire alone and did not wire that to anything"

Does that mean you wired the + speaker wires from harness #1 to the + inputs on harness #2 (bypass harness) and then did not connect the - wires to anything? If this is the case you need to connect all the - harness #1 wires to all the - harness #2 wires.

Most aftermarket headunits have a fuse, so if you make a mistake, it will just blow the fuse.

Jeff
Sorry I got lost in what I was writing, what I did was I wired the Positive speaker wires from the Kenwood unit to the corresponding speaker wires on the amp bypass harness, because the kenwood wiring harness has a positive and a negative wire for each speaker and the amp bypass harness only has one wire for each speaker, the guy at the shop said hook only the positive speaker wires up and tape the negative wires on the kenwood harness up. and after hooking all that up the only free wire on the amp bypass harness was the black ground wire.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear

Ok, now I understand. So you need to connect all the black wires together. Take all the black wires from the Kenwood and tape/wirenut them the one black wire on the bypass harness.

Let me know if it works.

Jeff

Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

Thats what jumps out at me.
It would help if you knew which Audi head unit you are changing out so you can find connector info (pin assignments) on the back,and then make thecorrect conversion.
http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html
When I did mine i searched and found the 'pin assignments' for the connectors on the back of the origional unit and matched them to the new unit. it can be confusing, but with a good multimeter and time it can be done. On my 96, the front speakers were a direct amplified signal from the radio, where the back speakers are a low level sig to a door amp. On my new system i took out the front door speakers because they are at some odd impedance and replaced them with a 4 ohm 2 way system but the back speaker system stayed origional. I wasable to power up the door amps/speakers and drive them from the new head unit.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SloRide

Thats what jumps out at me.
It would help if you knew which Audi head unit you are changing out so you can find connector info (pin assignments) on the back,and then make thecorrect conversion.
http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html
When I did mine i searched and found the 'pin assignments' for the connectors on the back of the origional unit and matched them to the new unit. it can be confusing, but with a good multimeter and time it can be done. On my 96, the front speakers were a direct amplified signal from the radio, where the back speakers are a low level sig to a door amp. On my new system i took out the front door speakers because they are at some odd impedance and replaced them with a 4 ohm 2 way system but the back speaker system stayed origional. I wasable to power up the door amps/speakers and drive them from the new head unit.
Sorry I have the Gamma CC stock radio, and if I can stay away from replacing speakers, that would be ideal hence the reason I am working so hard on a work around. I am going to give what Jeffla said a shot, by grounding all three and see if that works.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

the reason i changed my front speakers is that the stock units were a 2 ohm impedance and the new head unit is designed to operate into a 4 ohm load (which is typical) this would have made the new head unit work harder or even shorten the life ofit's front channel amplifiers. I was able to use theorigional back speakers/amp. I had to use the power antenna lead of the new unit to send switchable power to the door amps (so when the head unit turned on it also turned on the door amps)and then the low level (pre amp out) signals (RCA jacks) from the new unit as the input signal to the origional door amp/speakers.