Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Speaker Wire for Power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Speaker Wire for Power?

Ok, I have a question about some wiring. I put a 12 volt power outlet in my center console right below the armrest. I'm using it to power my iPod. So here's my question, I hooked it up to my Amp's remote terminal and ground so that it will only be on when the stereo is on. So first, it is ok to do this. Second the wire that Is being used is 16 gauge Monster cable speaker wire. Can I use this for power? The wire was already run for speakers that I ended up using different wire. I don't want to use the outlet until I know this is safe, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-Keith

Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Speaker Wire for Power?

It should be ok for the power depending on how much power you are pulling through it. I would deff. put a fuse inline though. What are the specs on the power outlet you may need a 12v source which would be better to get off the fuse box under the dash. You can tapp off the ign. fuse so it will turn on and off with the stereo.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

There is a 10 amp inline fuse for the outlet. Then the amp has a built in fuse, and there is also an inline fuse coming off the battery to the amp. The thing I was most worried about was the using speaker wire, should that be ok do you think? Thanks for your help.

-Keith

Old 01-05-2007, 05:10 PM
4th Gear

The remote on the amp is usually 9v. But the 16awg wire should be just fine if you went bigger (12awg) that would be better. What wire did you tapp for the remote? This wire is going to receive a large draw now since its powering more than intended. So this may need to be beefed up. Maybe 16awg on the ipod and 12awg remote.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM
4th Gear

If you tapped the remote off the rear speaker which is 18awg (i think) then you can fry it cause big problems and may even start your car on fire. If you tapped off the radio and ran a larger wire for the remote then you could be good. Easy rule of thumb is see what size the cig lighter uses and go with that. Also make sure to use the same size or largerwire ground as the power. (im sure youalready new that)

Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

I plugged it right into the remote terminal on the amp.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

Where did you get the remote to the amp from?

ORIGINAL: new2me

If you tapped the remote off the rear speaker which is 18awg (i think) then you can fry it cause big problems and may even start your car on fire. If you tapped off the radio and ran a larger wire for the remote then you could be good. Easy rule of thumb is see what size the cig lighter uses and go with that. Also make sure to use the same size or largerwire ground as the power. (im sure youalready new that)

Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Oh, sorry. It came from the head unit. It's an aftermarket Alpine head unit.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

So you think I should run a bigger wire from the head unit remote to the amp if I do it this way? Or find somewhere else to get the power from?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

How would I tap off the ignition fuse? I'm not familiar with tapping into the fusebox, I've tried to keep my wiring as indpendent from the car's wiring as possible so I don't cause any serious problems.

Quick Reply: Speaker Wire for Power?