Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Problem

I have installed a MFSW on my 2007 A4
First, I thought I only needed the control module and I bought the 8E0953549Q module
After I installed the module with the old SC ring, the ESP light came on with steering wheel angle sensor error.
I was told that I can erase that.
Then I learned that I needed the SC ring too so I decided to wait to clear the esp light until I install the newer sc ring
So I bought the 4E0953541A sc ring and did the coding.
The steering wheel works fine but the ESP light was still on

I searched online and found a link on ross tech on how to calibrate the angle sensor. did what it says and it didn't work.

I called a friend who knows more on this subject and he said I cannot clear the ESP light through VAGCOM. He said it needs to be calibrated through the computer which audi services only have.

I went to an Audi Service and tried calibrating the steering wheel angle sensor but whatever we tried, it didn't work. We erased all the codes.

From what I understand, the car does not communicate with the angle sensor at all because when we go into live data, it shows 0 degrees on the steering wheel and even though we turn the steering wheel, it still shows 0 degress.

What can I do?? is there a seperate wiring on the angle sensor? how can I clear that ESP light?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Certified

Put the old parts back on & see what happens. Did the car originally come with a MFSW? If it did not not , the car might not accept it.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

but everybody does the mfsw retrofit??
the thing is the steering wheel angle sensor is located on the SC ring
when I first changed the control module, I did not change the sc ring but the esp light came on

Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by TURBO_S2K
but everybody does the mfsw retrofit??
the thing is the steering wheel angle sensor is located on the SC ring
when I first changed the control module, I did not change the sc ring but the esp light came on
I can not really answer that if the steering wheel will fit or not or not. At least the coding for the what ever the wheel controls would be different.
You might even have different wiring.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish by installing this wheel?