S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Replaced new steering wheel. Throwing code: Steering angle sensor. NO horn! VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Default Replaced new steering wheel. Throwing code: Steering angle sensor. NO horn! VIDEO!

I made a video, it's easier to see the problem. The horn stopped working also... The bolts are not too tight either, I can still press the horn in, just no more sound.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjxmDt43pWA

Name:  Audi.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  31.6 KB

Thanks in advanced.

Justin

Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 PM

not a single clue but thats really weird...side note your washer fluid pump is cracked and if you dont have the time/money to replace it you can put a jump wire between both contacts on the sensor plug to make that light go away. little ghetto but cmon, its just temporary right?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 AM

Nope. I'm running meth injection and since I put meth/dist. water in that reservoir the light has been on. Very common.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...ringangle.html ... ESP is tied in with abs, so thats why you are getting those lights too. However, the flashing brake light is strange, I wouldnt expect it to be on (it usually only would be if your abs module was bad, or if the fuse was blown or pulled so you might want to check your fuse), but try and calibrate it and see if you can get those lights to go away. You said you turned "that thing" with your wheel off in your video, thats your clock spring. It has a coil of wire in there, and if you turned it more than one revolution, you likely snapped it once you put your wheel back on and turned it. That would be why your horn doesnt work. The weird part though is that if you snapped your clockspring your airbag light should be on, unless somehow the clockspring only got partially damaged. I would see if you can even calibrate the steering angle sensor, then I would consider replacing the clockspring.

EDIT: I actually think your airbag light should be on. It never comes on when you start the car, so something is def wrong there, someone may have removed the led or it might be damaged somehow. Youll want to VAG airbags and see if you get any codes.

Last edited by Dallas09; 04-22-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks so much! I pmed you btw. I am going with the assumption I snapped that wire by turning it too much. I took the good one from the other car and will replace it, but how can I be sure to set it correctly this time?!

Justin

Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

Im not quite sure on how to set it properly. What I would do is set the wheel you are taking the clockspring out to exact center, take the clockspring out without moving it, and then put it in the car with the wheel pointed exactly center. I think new clocksprings have tabs that prevent them from being rotated from center until they are put in and then you break the tabs. Once youve replaced it make sure you VAG the airbags, if you dont at least reset the airbag code for the driver airbag, the driver for sure and maybe all the airbags wont trigger if you are in a crash. You also should really figure out the airbag light issue.

EDIT: and if you cant figure out the position of the clock spring, I would turn it gently by itself until it locks, and then count back the turns from there (so the wheel turns what like 2 1/2 turns or something, I cant remember, but try it out on your other car). Find out how many turns the clock spring can make from lock to lock, and then set it in the middle, then hook it up to the centered wheel. Ive also been told that there is extra play in the clockspring, so it doesnt need to be dead on, but the less exact you make it, the less play there is for future adjustments (an alignment for example). There is also a little window on the clock spring if I remember right with a yellow thing behind it, that could have something to do with the alignment of it too so you can play with that.

Last edited by Dallas09; 04-22-2010 at 10:51 PM.