Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Tail light electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Tail light electrical problems

Hello all,

For the last +2months I've had lots of problems with tail light problems.
Started with 2 bulbs out, but doesn't stop.

I've been replacing bulbs and only recently realized that it's not always the bulb!
It got annoying that every few days I'd have a problem, yet sometimes I'd check and nothing would be wrong.

Friday night the right indicator was out, nothing obvious with the bulb, so I replaced with reverse light, the indicator started working, but the rear light went out!!!! Then, I went inside to consult Mr Google for 30 mins.... And on my return all the lights are working, no problems at all.
As you can imagine... very annoying.

So, to summarize, sometimes bulbs blow, sometime lights go out but come back on later. Like they reset somehow.

I've checked all fuses, discounted indicator relay as other lights blow also, all wiring looks good and clean, and so after reading other posts at the weekend added a ground/common bypass, so they don't have to rely on the single pin.
No problems yet, but I also realize (with the help of Hugh, EuropaParts) that I don't get a light out error warning on the dash?? I even pulled a headlight bulb at lunchtime today, and still no light out error warning light.

Has anyone got any sense what might be happening, none of this makes sense to me.

Regards,
Confused